[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Campaign Journals 04-25-08

Campaign Journals 04-25-08

Character only applicatons accepted - Archive for now

Campaign Journals 04-25-08

Postby Greylen » Wed May 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Dettricks Journal:

With the dragon gone, an odd silence filled the cavern. Taking stock of the area, I finally got a chance to look at the sigil closely. Taking up a 20-foot section of the floor in the middle of the cavern, I could see the power radiate from it as it encompassed the room.

"Nine-hells" I growled to myself, as I studied the Sigil. I did not use such magic myself, but had prepared myself well during my time at the acadamy in studying the various schools of magic. This seemed to be a magic from the school of Abjuration, but there was something odd to it... If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a... except for that odd squiggle by the loop there... Hmmm.

"So what is it, D" Ty asked, having walked up next to me in her silent, cat-like walk... I was concentrating so hard, the sound of her voice so close to me, made my heart skip a beat or two.

"Ty, your far to silent for my good" I laughed after nearly screaming like a little girl. She grinned impishly at me, her eyes twinkling... I grinned back at her obvious pleasure.

"Well," I said to her, looking back at the Sigil, "I would have said it was a Globe of Invulnerability, except for that squiggle over in that left corner, next to the circle" Then it hit me... the squiggle OPENED the circle... and encompassed a larger area that surpressed spells WITHIN it... Ahhh.

I looked at Ty triumphantly and as I started to explain, she just rolled her eyes... "Yeah, yeah, keep the mage talk simple, D." she teased.

"Um, right" I turned to everyone. "Evidently this Sigil makes any lower level spell uncastable." and as I started to explain, a noise to the right interrupted me.

An elf stepped out of the path on the other side of the cavern from where we had entered... Everyone tensed, ready to attack, when Jalore walked around the bend behind him... the relief was intense.

Everyone greeted Jalore with hearty backslaps and hails, Creeg even picked him up in a bear-hug, all but Yev, who despite his reserve seemed to be the most glad to see the Paladin again.

The elf, who's name I promptly forget AGAIN, told us that he'd watched the Dragons habits for a couple weeks waiting for us and we didn't have much time before it would come flying back in through the waterfall... if it wasn't waiting for us already.

Quickly moving, we all headed for the entrance to the other cavern. But my armor was just too slow for Creeg, as he picked me up as if I was a child and deposited me in the cavern mouth.

Our summoned friend called to us from the other side of the entrance, where he had quickly taken post. "There is nothing here but a staff and some coin. But the cold is magically intense" he said.

Thinking quickly, I drew the cold in this room into myself, and cast it out as a shield to all those around me... Our new elf friend was too far away already for the effect to reach him, but everyone else was encased in a blue flame to protect from the cold.

Suddenly, the staff shot a crystal of ice at the outsider hovering in the air. It struck and he moved toward it quickly.

As we all moved into the room, the cold was like a blow to the chest, snatching away our breath, even with the protection I'd provided. Luckily the flame seemed to melt the ice around us, so we could move without slipping on the ice-covered floor.

Everyone fanned out, the staff still shooting ice daggers at the closest person. The staff was standing in the ice, so I sent over a fireball to see if it would deactivate if prone... which worked getting it prone, but not so well getting it to stop shooting at us.

Creeg and moved over to a large lake, covered in ice, and breaking a hole in the edge, stuck his head through it.

"brrrr" I thought, a chill going up my spine, when sputtering, Creeg stumbled back from the hole yelling "Dragon! Dragon in Water!". We all readied, but it was too late, as exploding out of the ice, water and ice shards spraying everywhere, the biggest dragon I'd ever seen roared and engulfed Creeg in it's mouth.

I could tell the flames surrounding Creeg were hurting the dragon terribly, but it held on to him. That's when all hell broke loose. First, I sealed the cavern entrance. Gathering the pure weave about me, I shaped it into a wall, blocking the entrance. Then using that released energy to spawn my next spell, I gathered the weave into my palm, shaping it into a ball and fueling it with my fury and anger. The ball of fire released struck the Dragon between the wings on the shoulder, causing it to roar in pain again.

I swear the beast was eyeing me for it's next snack, as it continued to chew on Creeg and strike at those around it. Jalore got a good charge in at the beast, while spells from Urdin and our elf friend struck it from above and the side.

Glancing at Ty, I could see frustration in her eyes, as her arrows continued to bounce off the armored scales. One glanced close to an eye, but still did no damage.

All of a sudden, Creeg vanished from the dragons mouth and Ty also disappeared. The combined spells of our group were obviously wounding the dragon deeply, when it suddenly dove back into the lake and disappeared.

Creeg and Ty had evidently just teleported to safety, but we were not done yet. We couldn't leave the dragon to escape.

Urdin had a plan. Casting a quick spell, he caused three of us, myself, Jalore and the bladesinger to be able to breath under water. So we quickly took after the Dragon, hoping to kill it while it was so wounded.

The lake entered a passage that started sloping back up about 100 yards back from the other cavern. Jalore suddenly signaled for us to stop. Pointing ahead, he signaled that there was a source of evil very close. So we split up and came up from three different directions.

Sure enough, there was a smaller dragon before us, the huge one (mother, I thought?) standing behind it.

Moving quickly, the bladesinger cast two quick spells into the small of the dragons. I followed up with one of the largest fireballs I was capable of producing... it took a bit out of me, those spell tweaking, but they were sure worth every bit of energy the stole from me.

The fireball did the trick for the smaller dragon and as Jalore started toward the mother, it suddenly took off and I was surrounded in a bitter cold fog. Luckily, it again burned off with the blue flame surrounding us. Hearing a commotion to my right, I quickly ran forward, almost tripping over the body of the smaller dragon.

The huge dragon now had Jalore in it's jaws and was headed for the end of a chasm. Quickly, I formed another wall and placed it in front of the dragon, but even though it slammed into it, the wall was not large enough to impede it's progress to the Chasm.

The dragon violently threw Jalore into the chasm wall, and I watched him disappear with the dragon diving down as well. The bladesinger, chanting another spell, ran after, diving over the edge as well. Running to the edge, running being a description only, since I could not move very fast in my armor, I looked down and could only see spray from a waterfall close by... but after a minute, the Bladesinger flew out of the water carrying Jalore up to the landing again.

Not a moment too soon, from the look of him... I was amazed he had survived at all. A tribute to his toughness for sure.

As the bladesinger took Jalore back for healing, I looked around the chamber in detail... over in the corner was a HUGE pile of goldly glinting coin... now THIS is a Dragons horde, I laughed out loud.

It took a couple trips, but we finally got all the treasure divided up so we could carry it. But then Urdin, ever watchfull, call a warning out to us, as he said there were a number of Fey'ri entering the cavern in etheral form. One of them was not, however, and called out to Yev'rah "Thank you for taking care of the dragon for us. We can take it from here." I recognized him as the Fey'ri leader Yev had negotiated with earlier.

With that, the leader of the fey'ri raised his hand and hit Yev with a beam of intense heat, which staggered him back.

Ty took off to the left, as I drank another of my See Invisibility potions and making a whirling motion to gather the weave into a chaotic frenzy, cast a Blade barrier around the group I saw clustered in the entrance. I grinned fiercly as the whirling blades of pure force sprang into being around them, spinning wildly about.

One of the Fey'ri danced through them, however, without seeming to get a scratch! I thought only Ty was that graceful.

Between arrows, spells and our fighters cleaving a couple of Fey'ri in half, the rest stuck in my trap just disappeared, but not before we'd killed their leader and the traitor that had led us into that trap earlier.

A good days work, I smile contentedly to myself.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Boric Glanduum » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:11 pm

April 25, 2008

I finished speaking and the cavern was silent for a moment. Dettrick and Ty talked softly while standing over the sigil. I could only suppose that Dettrick was trying to understand the arcane workings.

~That speech was well-stated, youngling. At times it is easier to see what Boric sees in you. The moments are rare, of course, but there is something there.~

I scowled; even though I was fairly certain he could not “seeâ€
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Return to Campaign Journals - Silver Marches Campaign