[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Avatar

By the request of Boric... blah blah. :) Movies, movies and more movies. Discuss them all.

Moderator: Greylen

Postby Ghostwheel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

figured I would start an Avatar thread.

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Cameron fixed the horrible 3D experience since he had Sony rebuild the cameras especially for his movie.

I will start out by saying yes, it is Dances With Wolves In Space. the second thing I will say is "so what, this so rules".
The complete shock and awe of the world that Cameron presented took over almost immediately and I didn't care from about 10 minutes in that the main characters were blue. or 9 ft tall, or if they would have been covered in feathers and clucked across the screen. Ok, maybe the clucking wouldn't have gone over too well.
I tried not to build my expectations too much reading about how much Cameron did to enable this picture to be made, reading about some of the rumors of motion sickness, threadbare storylines, etc. None of that mattered to me. I found myself in the theatre seat saying to Cameron "impress me" like you did with Aliens. And he came through completely.

Any one else see it? no spoilers since you have seen the story before, but not with this level of detail and awe.
Buckle up Bonehead. 'Cause you're goin' for a ride!
Ghostwheel

Postby Greylen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Man, I have to agree with you there... Completely awesome!

I saw it on the I-Max as well and if you haven't seen it on the I-max, you HAVE to go at least once, before it leaves.

I loved the way the 3-D didn't have any cheap, silly, gratuitous 'throw-something-at-the-audience' moments. It just enhanced the way you perceived the already stunning vistas and heart-pounding action.

While you could make many earth movement political comparisons, I found the movie to be a rich and moving story, with plenty of action to go along.

The way it was filmed allows a deeper suspension of disbelief in the environment and the alien characters themselves.

It was truly awesome.

I am going to go to the I-max again, in the next couple weeks sometime. If you'd like to go as well, let me know and maybe we can go as a group. :)
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Just Rob » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Sorry to have a divergent opinion. I saw Avatar twice. I didn't see it in 3D because it makes Joylynn get motion sickness to see any move in 3D, so we saw the movie for the movie's sake. From an entertainment and an action perspective, I thought it was a good show. Not my favorite, but very good. I thought the story was good, the characters were good, and the plot was good. So, I'm obviously in favor of the movie, but I'm not head-over-heels in love with it. I think it deserves to do good (as it has been), but I do not want to see Hollywood think that all movies from now on need to be duplicates of it in order to make insane amounts of money. Not all shows need to be in 3D and be big booms. Focusing on good plots and characters we can identify as well as the eye candy make a movie worth while in my opinion.

Thus endeth my diatribe.
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Just Rob » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 am

I came across an interesting article on CNN about fans of Avatar. You may find it interesting. Here's the link:

Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 pm

8) Yep, it seems like things have not changed from the days we used to meet over at your and Joylynn's apartment, Rob, to watch the weekly airing of Star Trek in the early 90's. Just the ways of getting 'together' has changed. :lol:

The only difference is we kept some boundaries intact and never went completely overboard. :D

I must be getting old, but the thought of learning Na'vi just doesn't thrill me like Klingon once did. :twisted: :roll: :-({|=
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Just Rob » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Amazing how the times change - it's just the content that differs. Each generation seems to have its "big thing" that makes a huge impact and brings everyone together like we did in the old days, or others before us did with Star Trek:TOS, Bonanza, Outer Limits, and any number of other shows that people would gather for. There's been tons of blockbusters too that have people stretching around the block like Avatar to buy tickets and get in on the life-momentous experience.

Thanks for bringing back the old memories. Haven't thought about that for a long time. Hard to believe that Star Trek:TNG was ever a first-run show! :headbang:
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Return to Movies Discussion