Clash of the Titans - the Remake

By the request of Boric... blah blah. :) Movies, movies and more movies. Discuss them all.

Moderator: Greylen

Clash of the Titans - the Remake

Postby Just Rob » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Overall, pretty good flick. It differs from the original in a few significant ways. A) The storyline, while following generally the original, has quite a few departures in numerous ways. It is definitely not a 1:1 remake. B) the special effects have (thankfully) gone up a few notches since the stop-motion, claymation of the original. Medusa is pretty cool to look at now and doesn't make you laugh as looking at her did in the original. Also seeing the computer generated effects made me think that they tried to stay as faithful to the original without feeling slavishly devoted to it in a way that would ruin the film. They do have a bone to throw to the fans of the original where they pull a copy of Bubo the mechanical owl from a chest and Perseus asks "What is this?" and is told "just leave it alone." Pretty funny moment.

So by and large, if you haven't seen it and you are on the edge trying to decide if it is worth your money, I'd say go for it. It is at least as good as the original and better in some respects. I was a fan of the old ways when Sinbad, Clash of the Titans and all the other old stop-motion claymation movies were the most advanced monster movie-making on the planet for a time and made for some decent storytelling, although they may pale in comparison with some really good computer-animated replacements today. If you aren't all that put off by Greek mythology and holes in a story between Greek gods and mortals fighting it out in a way quite different than the original, this is worth your time. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what your thoughts are after you see it to see if my review was of any help in your enjoyment of the experience or not.

:thumbup: :thumbup: out of 4
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Return to Movies Discussion