[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Babylon 5: The Lost Tales

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales

By the request of Boric... blah blah. :) Movies, movies and more movies. Discuss them all.

Moderator: Greylen

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales

Postby Just Rob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:42 pm

OK, so it's not exactly a movie, but I came across this today. Has anyone else heard anything about it (or seen it)?

- video trailer
- cast and summary
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Boric Glanduum » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 am

It was going to be a new direct-to-DVD series of follow-up movies, each one featuring one or two of the characters. I understand the first dvd featuring stories for Sheridan, Lochley, and Galen was pretty good, but the sales weren't enough (I think due to poor advertising support by Warner Brothers, who notoriously undersold the B5 franchise) to warrant going back to do more.
There was another spin-off series attempted; some good points, but just couldn't capture the heart of B5: Crusade.
I haven't seen Lost Tales; if you come across a copy, I'd love to see it.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Just Rob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Do you have Netflix? If so, it looks like it is available either through DVD or streaming options. If I get a copy before you do, I'll let you know so you can borrow it.
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Just Rob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I just watched the streaming version on Netflix. There are two vignettes: one with Lockley and a guy possessed by what is (supposedly) a bona fide evil spirit and she has to bring in a catholic priest to cast him out, the other is with Sheridan coming back to B5 10 years after the founding of the Interstellar Alliance and features Galen from Crusade. I won't spoil the plots by going into detail.

The camera work on the first one leaves one prone to motion sickness just because of the director's choice of filming angles of the characters. It left much to be desired. Lockley is also left in the same uniform from 10 years ago, but she has obviously aged, so it just isn't the same. The subject matter is the least good part of the vignette, with JMS mixing his feelings about religion with humanity/science and not exactly finding a good mix in my opinion.

The second one is much better. The subject matter isn't as divisive and seeing more than one character from the original series is in improvement. Mentioned are Vir, Garibaldi, G'kar, Londo, Delen, and Franklin, but none are shown (guess they didn't have the budget, plus some have passed on).

The CGI is stellar (pun kind of intended!). If they could have had today's computers doing the CG work in the 90's, oh what a difference it would have made (even for as good as it was at the time). The stuff is really believable in this short. The station looks incredible and the ships are true to the originals and much improved for smoothness and detail. Thumbs up here!

I think you will enjoy it for the nostalgia factor, but I can see why it didn't really do all that well. I'll let you share your own opinion when you can see it. Still want to borrow a copy (when I can get it) or are you good?
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Boric Glanduum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 am

I'd love to borrow it.

Yeah, JMS's religious views always kinda bothered me on B5; he tried too hard, sometimes, I think.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Zanther » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 am

I think I will pass.

Subpar mini-movies maybe to paniful to watch, I greatly loved B5 and still think it is the best overall Sci-fi series. But it is to late to revisit it.

Now if they would rethink Firefly...Now that was a show. :D
Save the Gnome! Save the World!
Zanther

Return to Movies Discussion