[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - The Hobbit

The Hobbit

By the request of Boric... blah blah. :) Movies, movies and more movies. Discuss them all.

Moderator: Greylen

The Hobbit

Postby Boric Glanduum » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:28 am

"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Just Rob » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:16 pm

"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

GO PJ!

Postby TheDM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

TheDM
Ranger

double post

Postby TheDM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

TheDM
Ranger

Postby Just Rob » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 pm

I think of people like Joylynn who get motion sick from the 3D glasses and think of how many other people who are out there who CAN'T use the technology, not just those who don't WANT to see it. I don't think it's that uncommon of an occurrence to make one wonder at the utility of making most new movies these days in 3D if there is any possible, conceivable way to get away with it.

As for me (without the motion sickness issue), it seems more like a gimmick to me that distracts from the movie watching experience than enhancing it most of the time. Sure, there are some movies like you mentioned that it works for, but others are questionable and I'd rather not have to pay for the bells and whistles when I just want to see a good flick (which means I usually opt for the 2D version of a film unless there's a REALLY good reason for it).

[spouting] [/off]
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

agreed

Postby TheDM » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:58 am

I agree, most movies don't need 3D.

But that's what was beautiful about the new 3D technology that James Cameron used for Avatar, it doesn't make people motion sick. Even people that I know that said that they usually do get sick from 3D said that they didn't with Avatar. So that's the only kind of 3D that I really care to see going forward personally. Cameron actually rebuilt the whole 3D tech from scratch and reworked it so that it was a much beter technology. do some googling on it, you'll see what I mean.

And they usually have the non 3D version available as you said. So most movies I won't watch in 3D either. But my point was that I think I will give PJ the benefit of a doubt as he is using the same 3D tech of James Cameron on the Hobbit.
TheDM
Ranger

Postby Ghostwheel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 am

Throwing in here.

I have seen exactly two IMAX shows in the old 3D format. I wouldn't go to any others because it gave me a migraine due to the flawed shifting system that was used to trick your brain into seeing the 3D in false colors due to the hokey red/green glasses.

I gave Avatar a chance only because I read up on what Cameron did to change the experience. He went to Tokyo to Sony's CEO of development with his DP and they step by step disassembled the cameras used for 3D at the time and then helped Sony rebuild the cameras to FILM in a Stereoscopic method which resulted in 3D by using glasses that do not use the Red/Green but instead use polarization. This worked because the new Fusion 3D camera is actually two Sony HD cameras working in concert just like your eyes do. The polarizing glasses allow your eyes to get the same information from the screen that they do in the real world, just a little different to give the 3D effect. We have current polarization in use in everyday sunglasses and it doesn't mess with your heed, just blocks certain parts of light. Also, think about the flat maps that you can use the stereoscopic lenses on to give you a false topographic impression while looking through them.

I was greatly surprised on my viewing of Avatar in that not only did I not get a headache, but the environment was actually immersing me instead of the "coming at you" 3D of old.

And because he was using Weta's help for the performance capture on the rest, they also get to use it on The Hobbit. Yea!!!
Buckle up Bonehead. 'Cause you're goin' for a ride!
Ghostwheel

Postby Boric Glanduum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

I have not seen any recent movie in 3D.
Frankly, until the technology changes sufficiently that I don't have to balance ANY kind of glasses on top of my glasses, I probably won't go. Any glasses-on-top-of-glasses situation always causes a headache for me, just by their presence on my face. Even the slip-over granny sunglasses does it.
And no, don't ask me what kind of technology I want; I agree it probably doesn't exist.
If they have good clip-ons? I may be willing to try.

In large part, however, I count it simply as a gimmick to get a few more bucks out of me at the theater. No thanks. I'd rather have the Medium popcorn for $12 instead.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Ghostwheel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 am

only if you get the medium drink for $8 to go with it...
Ghostwheel

Casting for the Hobbit announced

Postby Just Rob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Peter Jackson has his fearless burglar in the bag. Or should we say, the Baggins?

The studios behind The Hobbit officially confirmed Thursday that British actor Martin Freeman will be playing the titular Shire hero, Bilbo Baggins, in Jackson's two-part Lord of the Rings prequel.

"Despite the various rumours and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," Jackson said in a statement.

But Bilbo isn't going it alone in today's casting news. MGM, New Line and Warner Bros. also rolled out a roster of actors who will be playing the hobbit's comrades in treasure hunting and Smaug slaying...

Brit Richard Armitage, who presumably will be seen in Captain America: The First Avenger long before The Hobbit's journey concludes, has signed on to play Thorin Oakenshield, head of the company of dwarves who are off to recapture his lost inheritance.

Rounding out the troop are Aidan Turner and Rob Kazinsky as Kili and Fili; Graham McTavish as Dwalin; John Callen as Oin; Stephen Hunter as Bombur; Mark Hadlow as Dori; and Peter Hambleton as Gloin. (You never know which one of them is going to be the next Dominic Monaghan!)

The manly group will gather in February—possibly in New Zealand, possibly elsewhere—to start shooting the long-awaited epic.

In response to the decision made by SAG, AFTRA and New Zealand Actors' Equity not to boycott or otherwise interfere with the production, the studios said in a joint statement earlier today that they are still waiting to hear from other industry unions before they make their final decision about whether to move production out of New Zealand, where LOTR was shot.

"The actions of these unions have caused us substantial damage and disruption and forced us to consider other filming locations for the first time," the studios said. "Alternative locations are still being considered."

Meanwhile, since the film was officially greenlighted, there's been no word on whether Ian McKellen, who's been attached as Gandalf since the project's inception, or Andy "Gollum" Serkis are officially on board.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b206995 ... z1375XTsl9
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Zanther » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:52 pm

O I just can't wait!!!!
Save the Gnome! Save the World!
Zanther

Postby Boric Glanduum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 am

I think they may have missed the boat with Thorin's casting...I was holding out hope that they'd grab Brian Blessed--to me he has ALWAYS been the epitome of Thorin.
Ah, well. Time will tell.
Boric Glanduum

Postby Ghostwheel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:32 am

Ghostwheel

Postby Boric Glanduum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Boric Glanduum

Postby Ghostwheel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Ghostwheel

Next

Return to Movies Discussion