[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Dragon Coast Prologue

Dragon Coast Prologue

Anything that doesn't belong to a specific forum for Players

Dragon Coast Prologue

Postby Greylen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:03 am

The magistrate was nervous.

It had been two days since he'd sent the messengers by teleportation to various cities where he had friends and there had been no reply since.

"I should have at least heard SOMETHING by now." he thought as he mopped the sweat off his brow, looking over the small city of Starmantle from his Estate's balcony. "Especially at the prices I had to pay for the urgency of the messages." he muttered to himself with a small sigh, fingering his much lightened money pouch.

The Estate of Suha was a small, but impressive, compound on a hill overlooking the city to the west and the Sea of Fallen Stars to the east. The light glistening off the rolling waves from the sea had no beauty for the Magistrate, however. He was far too nervous and far too upset for the calming vista to have any power of him these days.

"Oh bother, I can't stand this waiting!" the Magistrate suddenly states as he stands and pulling a braided pull cord, he waits impatiently, again mopping his brow from the heat of the day. In a moment, hurried, but stately footsteps echo against the vaulted ceiling as an older, sturdy man enters and bows.

"You rang sire?" Segmud states, an air of poised anticipation to his posture.

"Yes Segmud. Has there been any word from the messengers yet?" he enquires, not for the first time that morning already. A small almost imperceptible smile flashes across Segmud's face as he gravely shakes his head to the negative.

"I'm sorry, sire, but there has been..." Segmud cuts off as a small pop is heard from the courtyard below. "I believe someone has just returned, sire. I will be right back." Segmud hurried from the room to the front door, the bell just starting to ring.

A moment later, Segmud appears leading a richly dressed man, the dull glint of a subtlety worn shirt of chain-mail peeking out from under the well woven tunic. A dangerous air clung to the man as he gazed piercingly at the Magistrate. The air seemed charged, as if just before a lightning strike in a thunderstorm.

"What's this I hear about you needing help, Charles?" the man interrupts as Segmud opens his mouth to announce him. Pursing his lips, Segmud simply shrugs and bows out of the room. The relief on the Magistrates face is quickly covered as he regards the man with a smile.

"No how are you doing? or good to see you Charles? By the seven hells Dettrick, it's been ten years since we were orphans together in the streets of Suzil and this is how you greet me?" Charles's laugh belies his words as he wraps Dettrick in a big bear-hug. "It is good to see you old friend. I hear you have done well for yourself since old Thunderspells caught you after your dye bomb caught him."

Dettrick ophs as he's crushed by his friend's hug. He belatedly manages to wheeze, "Good to see you Charles." then sucks in a breath as he's released with pleasure, gasping slightly. "You're still as strong as a bear, I see." he laughs ruefully rubbing his chest. "You've done quite well for yourself since shipping out with that one-armed pirate all those years ago." he nods with roll of his eyes at the surrounding villa.

The magistrate grins with pleasure, "Indeed. Magistrate of Starmantle now. We try and keep things a little more orderly than those pigs in Westgate, but it's still a big job keeping the peace with all these thieves and pirates here. You'd like it. Your kind of place." his non-to-gentle elbow hits Dettrick in the ribs, who winces slightly, despite the chain-mail.

"I probably would, my friend, but Tree-Fort town is about all I can handle right now." he chuckles, now rubbing his ribs. "So what IS it that has you looking for help outside your own city?" Dettrick asks, raising an eyebrow to his childhood friend.

Charles nods, as if most of Dettricks doings are well known to him. "It is actually a matter of some delicacy. Seems I've been robbed. And the robbers have fled beyond my jurisdiction... AND I don't want it widely known that 'I' was robbed. Looks bad with the locals if they think your vulnerable in any way."

Nodding his understanding Dettrick ahhhs, "Then you know who did it? Do you know where they are?" Charles nods as well, a slow grin spreading across his face. "Indeed I do. Not much happens around here that I don't know or find out about... even my own robberies." he winks at Dettrick with chuckle. "Seems it was a band of orcs, with help from the local thieves guild. I've already caught and punished the thieves involved, but the goblins have run all the way back to their stronghold and I don't have the time, or manpower to root them out."

Dettrick's eye's light up as smiles fiercely. "I see. I wish I had time to do that tracking down myself. An adventure together would be just the thing I need right now." the light dies as Dettrick sighs, "But I simply can't take the time myself. However, I might be able to help. I've a likely candidate or two I can send over to do the job we're both to busy to do." Dettrick laughs, clasping the forearm of his friend.

"I must get back, Charles, but I'll send them along soon." Dettrick turns to go, then pauses, "So what was it that was stolen?" he asks back over his shoulder. Charles shakes his head, "Actually, it's a relic that's been the property of many many Magistrates. I have no idea why someone would be interested in it."

Dettrick laughs again as he walks away, "Well, we can't have Starmantle without it's lucky tailsman, now can we." he winks back over this should with a wave as he heads back to the courtyard and disappears.

Charles, the Magistrate of all Starmantle, settles back into his chair with relief. Dettrick had come like he knew he would... and best of all, would help.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Return to General Information