[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - EPIC Stories...

EPIC Stories...

Anything that doesn't belong to a specific forum for Players

Re: EPIC Campaign Information

Postby Greylen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm

OK, I can't read that post and not do a Greylen excerpt. :D :-B

Concern must have shown on his face. That or Sylvain just knew him too well. "Bad news, master?" the silver haired woman inquired, a hand unconsciously touching Greylen's face with concern. Xavier's hiss was all the answer she needed as Greylen turned to her with a slow nod, his mind already categorizing all he'd need.

"It is, Sylvain." Greylen sighed as he patted her hand reassuringly. "The Rogue evidently has gotten himself into more than his usual trouble. And something that causes HIM trouble, is something I need to look into." he paused a moment then gave her a wry smile. "I've got to go to him now at his keep in Myth Drannor, so be a dear and put together my adventuring bag. Contact me when it's ready and I'll update you on the situation." he held her hand a moment more, then with a small wink, he and Xavier shimmered and disappeared.

Sylvain sighed to herself and with a small roll of her eyes, launched herself towards the main castle area, floating in the center of the four towers. Suddenly she laughed as a thought struck her. "I wonder if he remembered his pin." she snickered a little more as she imagined his reception if he didn't. The laughter died, though the smile remained as she wondered if he'd done it on purpose. A small shrug of her shoulders as she landed next to Greylen's private rooms door dismissed the speculation as she concentrated on the complicated rituals that would keep her from being disintegrated on the spot.

Greylen was less than amused at first. He'd explained who he was and who he'd planned to see to the patrol. But he could see the captain was less than cooperative to someone who'd ignored the wardings around the newly built city, teleporting directly next to an inner sanctum. Greylen sighed, a small chuckle escaping his gagged lips as he shrugged resignedly. He really couldn't blame them, since he'd neglected to retrieve his pin before teleporting. Of course, the captain couldn't be expected to know that he actually participated in the building of the original Mythal, or was considered both an elf and dwarf friend. But that wouldn't keep him from dressing down the captain once the rest of his party arrived. Until then, he'd just amuse himself by a few practical jokes, since they seemed to be so confident their bindings had him helpless. He suppressed another chuckle and started his fun.

One harried patrol group later, his friends finally arrived. Removing his gag with a small cantrip, he pretended to be angry with the captain, though he was secretly pleased they'd been so cautious. A moment after that and they all were flying to the Rogue's Wind by the power of the Mythal. Time to find out what had happened to their friend.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Greylen » Sat May 10, 2014 1:38 am

Silvain Quicksilver's story...(5 years before)

"The sun is warm", Silvainatalimarlisium thought as she turned over to scratch her back against the solid granite outcropping she was sunning herself on, high in the northern mountains. She yawned mightily, then froze as a shadow fell on her. Her senses, both magical and normal, reached out and she instantly rolled off the ledge as a dull white shape slammed into where she was a moment before. The young white dragon roared in fury at the miss and launched itself after her.

Silvain gave the other dragon a wollfish grin as the mist and clouds in the area wrapped itself around her. Concealing her from her enemy. She sat on the cloud silently, listening to the frantic flapping of the other dragon as it tried to penetrate the mists. Silvain had only been alive for about 200 years, but she was a veteran of many a fight over those years and recognized the fear growing in the other dragon as it still could not pinpoint her location.

A moment later, a lightning bolt split the sky and the clouds, revealing her a moment as it slammed into the right wing of the white dragon, tearing a terrible hole in it.

Roaring with pain, the other dragon broke off the attack, screaming to the wind, "I will find you again, silver. You hear me. And next time you will die." Silvain only chuckled as she watch him spiral down, barely in control. He was no threat to her.

Silvain's humor vanished abruptly as she felt the claw at her throat. "You must remember not to gloat over those less powerful, young one." a wise voice whispered with evident humor in her ear. Silvain forced her body to relax as she recognized her mentor's unmistakable voice. "Point taken, mentor." she responded, a deep rumble of laughter coming from Talagularatharium as the claw was removed.

The laughter died, though, as Talagular looked down at the rapidly dwindling white dragon. "You did well, pupil. But it concerns me that the white attacked you without provocation." he rumbled thoughtfully. "Usually they are more circumspect, unless numbers are clearly on their side."

Silvain nodded, thoughtful as well, now that Talagular had pointed out what had bothered her from the beginning. "Indeed, mentor. It does seem our evil brothers are getting a little more... bold." she ventured after a moment.

Talagular smiled at Silvain and gave her the equivalent of a shrug from a human. "Perhaps they are at that. Well, my pupil, you should be getting back to your lessens then. Instead of sunning yourself on this fine day." he snorted again with laughter as he launched himself towards the cave entrance of their mountaintop home. "I shall inform the elders. I want to see the scorch marks from your practice in an hour." he called back to her as he flew off.

Silvain grimaced and flew back to her ledge. It certainly had seemed too nice a day to waste on practice, but she recognized the wisdom of his words and continued her magical training. The area around the ledge soon bore the scorch marks of her dedicated practice and she received high praise from Talagular when he returned.

"Practice is over today, my pupil. Seems the council would like to speak with you about a task you would be well suited to accomplish." Talagular informed her after examining her work. She started.

"The COUNCIL? But uncle, I've never even spoken to the council. How could they know about me?" Silvain cringed at her slip, even as she spoke. It was too informal for a pupil to call her mentor anything else until she had passed the final test.

Talagular smiled at her, "I may have had something to do about that, pupil. And Niece, your final exam was today. You handled that White dragon's attack well and applied only the necessary force to drive him off. I was proud of you." the old dragon ducked his head in slight embarrassment at his emotion. He had come to cherish Silvain as a daughter ever since her own parents had been killed by that ancient red dragon many years ago. Silvain knew it and pretended not to notice his own slip, even as she brushed his wings with her own in thanks.

"Thank you, Uncle. When does the council want to see me?" Silvain smiled at Talagular. "Now." he answered simply with a chuckle. "Come with me." he motioned to the cave and they both flew off, heading deep into the caverns of the silver dragon clan, until they reached the council chambers.

"Enter!" boomed a voice as they landed and Silvain and Talagular walked into the massive chamber holding the council of metallic dragons. The chief elder, an ancient gold dragon, nodded to them as they entered. "Welcome Silvain and Talagular. I thank you for coming." he boomed in the formal tone of official council business. The other dragons, one of each metallic color and just a ancient, nodded politely to her. Silvain nodded back, then ducked her head and bowed, "I come as requested, sir." she responded respectfully.

The gold dragon smiled at her and Talagular. "I see you have taught her well, old friend." then to Silvain he pointed to a scrying crystal lying in the middle of a number of broken shards. "Silvain, we have a mission of the utmost importance for you. It seems a human wizard has been researching the Book of Dragons and is in process of creating magical weapons for the express purpose of killing dragons." Silvain gasped.

"Killing dragons? For what purpose, elder?" she looked at the crystal more closely, seeing a fairly young wizard intent on the item in front of him. A staff, she could just make out. Suddenly he looked up and frowned, seeming to look directly through the crystal AT them. Then his voice clearly came through, echoing in the chamber.

"Enough already, whoever you are. I'm tired of this game. Scry me again and I will hunt you down." the fierce look he gave them through the crystal sent shivers down Silvain's spine as the crystal suddenly exploded into many pieces. The elder sighed.

"I'm afraid we don't know the answer to that. We get approximately 10-20 seconds of scrying time before he notices and destroys our crystal. He is far to powerful for us to be at ease with his research. We would like you to go to him as a human woman and offer to become his apprentice. If you are accepted, you can ascertain his motives and report back to us so we can take action if needed." the elder looked at her expectantly.

Silvain wasn't sure what she felt at the elders question, but when he started to chuckle, she realized her jaw was still open in surprise. She closed it and shook herself mentally, looking back at the elder, "`5How long must I be gone, elder? And what if he finds out what I am?" she inquired with a little more dignity.

The elder sighed, "You must be gone long enough to find out what he intends to do with his knowledge of dragons and their weaknesses. But I swear to you, if he harms or threatens you in any form, the wrath of our kind will make the flight of dragons look like a stroll in the moonlight." the elder hissed with deadly purpose, the echoing hisses from the others reassuring Silvain and helping make up her mind.

"Then I accept, elder. Tell me how to find this wizard and I will leave tomorrow." she stated with conviction in her voice. Talagular smiled with approval, as did the elder. "Very well, young one. Talagular will guide you on the marrow. May the blessing of the gods go with you." At those words, he shimmered and disappeared, as did all the other dragons, after bowing respectfully to her.

Talagular smiled and wing brushed Silvain. "Well done, young one. I commend you on your manners and your courage." He turned to go, Silvain following him in silence. After a moment, Silvain stopped her uncle. "Uncle, why me? Why send someone untried as me to spy on this wizard?" she looked him square in the eyes, despite their height difference. Talagular hrrmphed and turned away, but then sighed and looked back at her.

"Silvain, my dear, dear Silvain. Despite our power, we are still few in number compared to the other creatures of the land. Sometimes we must be... circumspect in our dealing with others. You are a good choice because you are smart, strong and most importantly... beautiful. That wizard may know of our weaknesses, but we know of a few of man's weaknesses as well. To paraphrase it..." Talagular looked even more embarrassed than earlier, "Men are a sucker for a pretty face." he finished with a small, still embarrassed, laugh.

Silvain looked at her uncle incredulously. "You chose me because I'm... pretty?" she gave Talagular an exasperated look. "Since when does that qualify someone to be a spy?" she demanded almost angrily. Talagular stopped her and putting both forearms on her shoulders, shook her slightly, the nonchalant strength bringing her to her senses. "No, I said it was one factor, niece. And not the most important. However, there is no denying it will improve your odds of being accepted by this wizard. You are our best hope and we don't want you turned away."

Silvain sighed, "Fine, uncle. I'll do it regardless. But I feel... awkward... knowing you're counting on my looks to get me in the door." she gave her uncle a resigned shrug, then with a rueful laugh, continued with him to their chambers.

The next morning Silvain set out with her uncle, enjoying the cool, crisp air as they flew toward the west coast, by the ocean. "Do you know where we are going, Uncle?" she queried of Talagular when they stopped to hunt for a snack.

"Yes and no, Silvian?" he smiled at her. "Seems this wizard is quite adept at concealment. But we have discovered that he has been seen in Silverymoon, so we are going there as a place to start. Are you ready to continue?" Talagular inquired as they finished eating the fresh deer they'd caught earlier.

Silvain nodded and they were off again.

A few hours later, Silverymoon's towers came into view, so they landed and quickly transformed into human form. Silvain was not a good judge of human beauty, but Talagular assured her she was stunning with her piercing gold eyes and silver hair.

His assessment seemed to bear out, as they neared the city and crossed the bridge, one of the guards let out a low whistle that her uncle told her indicated he thought she was very pretty. Silvain blushed at the thought, but kept her pace steady as they did their rounds at the various stalls, looking at the goods, but searching the faces of the people for the young wizard. By the end of the day, their search had been fruitless and they retired to a relatively nice inn. Not TOO expensive, at it gave them both a toothache to part with gold from their hard earned hordes for the rooms.

Weeks went by and Silvain decided to get a job in a local magic shop, so as to not be so suspicious as they looked for the wizard. She found the work rather fun as she chatted with the varied and interesting people that passed through Silverymoon. Adventurers especially always brought such interesting stories. One rumor caught her imagination as it told of a castle being built that would float in the sky, shrouded in mists so it looked like a cloud floating by to anyone below. The castle being built seemed to be a fact, since craftsman had been working on it for months now, but the last part always caused much laughter at the thought of a castle being able to fly.

Silvain and Talagular had just about given up hope, when after tidying up a less used area of the store, Silvain emerged to find herself mere inches away from the very face that she'd seen in the crystal months ago. The same intensely focused and supremely intelligent blue eyes looked into hers for what seemed an eternity. Then he smiled.

"Hello, I don't think I've seen you here before. I'm Greylen." he held out a hand, the smile turning his serious face into a much more relaxed and younger man's face.

"S...Silvain. Pleased to meet you, Greylen." she stammered slightly, a small flush spreading on her face as she took his hand and shook it. Greylen just smiled broader. "I don't suppose you have any more of those scrolls of permanency? I'm a bit tired of doing them myself and need about two dozen more for my project." he flicked through a few scroll bins, eyes sliding back to hers. Silvain suddenly nodded.

"Yes. Yes, we do. Just received a new shipment of them yesterday." she beamed and running to the right bin, selected two dozen of the least tattered scrolls for Greylen. He chuckled, another interesting sound from someone she thought was so serious.

"Thank you Silvain. This will make the building go much faster." Greylen beamed back at her and stuffing the scrolls in a bag, pulled out the requisite coin, with a healthy tip. "For your prompt service." Greylen smiled with a flourish as he handed her the tip with the payment, then with a wink for her, he started out the door.

"Wait, what are you building?" she called after him, curious and remembering why she was here.

Greylen paused and looking around with an exaggerated suspicious look, walked back and whispered to her. "A castle, well, more of a tower complex that will float in the sky when I'm done." he grinned at her, he eyes alive with excitement and Silvain found herself thinking it was actually possible. Or at least wanting to believe it was. She smiled and nodded back to him. "Well, good luck and come back if you need anything else." she groaned mentally at the silliness of her comment. Of course he'd come back if he needed anything. But he just laughed and waved as he ran out of the store, eager to get back to work.

To be continued...
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Greylen » Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Silvain Quicksilver's story...(Continued)

Talagular was not please with Silvain's report of her first encounter with the Wizard Greylen. Silvain had not left out anything, being completely honest with him how flustered and disarmed she'd been at the suddenness of their meeting. However, they now knew he was in the area and that he was going to be there for awhile, from all accounts.

"Perhaps you should go visit this Greylen at the castle he is building. With your skills as a sorceress, you would even be a benefit to him." Talagular mused aloud as they discussed her next course of action.

Silvain shook her head, "I don't even know where it's located, uncle. It would look completely out of the ordinary for me just to show up there. I'll just need to get an invitation to visit next time he's in town." she stated firmly, knowing her uncle would be loathe to give up any idea that was his own.

"But Silvian, that could be months. I don't want to risk him getting away." Talagular countered, but Silvain remained firm, "We'll try it my way first, Uncle. But if he doesn't come back for two weeks, I'll make inquiries." she compromised and to her surprise, Talagular agreed. "It's your mission, my dear. I'm only here as an advisor." he smiled and patted her arm affectionately. She smiled back.

The next couple of days went by far too quickly. Some new items, some rare, had come in on the last two caravans and she was busy verifying their authenticity and cataloging them for the shop. It wasn't entirely a surprise when she saw him outside the shop, but she was determined to make more of an impression on him this time and quickly checked her hair and smoothed some wrinkles from her dress, just as he entered the shop.

"Hello and welcome back, master Greylen." she smiled at him, the started as a little red Pseudodragon peeked over the top of Greylen's head at her, peering at her far too intelligently.

"Hello Cousin!" a high, soprano voice spoke in her head, as the little dragon gave her a cheery chirp. Greylen chuckled with real glee in his eyes as he bowed to her with a flourish, "As I thought, my lady of the wind. It is an even greater honor meeting you than before."

Silvain quickly recovered and looking around furtively, grabbed Greylen's arm and pulled him into the dimly lit back room, facing him as she closed the door.

"How did you know?" she demanded of him. Angry at herself for being caught so easily. She suddenly noticed that Grelen's eyes were not only blue, but GLOWED blue in the dim light. She smacked her forehead in frustration.

"I see you figured it out already." Greylen smiled at her and Xavier gave her a mental giggle, snorting out loud. "I was truly sure until Xavier here confirmed it. Your masking spells are quite proficient. But please believe me when I say it truly is an honor to meet you. May I ask your full name?" he pulled a box over for her and then sat on a barrel, looking oddly at home there.

Silvain sighed as she sat down, "I'm afraid I can't give you my true name. I'm sure you know the power a dragon's true name has over them." She regarded Greylen, her head cocked slightly. "Though I must admit, our little Pseudodragon cousins don't take to just anyone, and never anyone evil."

Greylen laughed and rubbed the Pseudodragon's head gently as it hissed in agreement, then pleasure. "Indeed. Xavier and I have been together through an awful lot. I don't know where I'd bee without him, to be sure." the tender look he gave the Pseudodragon was far too genuine to be faked, Silvain thought to herself. She wavered on wanting to confide in this strangely charismatic man.

"So what brings a beautiful, young woman, who happens to also be a member of the most feared and respected race of Faerun, to be working as a clerk in a Magic shop?" Greylen asked, looking up again at her pleasantly. "It was certainly a surprise to me when I first saw you and suspected."

Silvain wavered once more, the with another glance at the Pseudodragon, decided to be at least partially honest. "Well, to be honest, I'm here looking for... you." she looked down demurely, though mainly just because she couldn't keep his gaze long without feeling the overwhelming urge to confide in him. That just wouldn't do.

"Me?" Greylen raised an eyebrow, "What do you want with me?" he stated evenly, his eyes narrowing only slightly, but Silvain suddenly felt that same shiver go up her spine as when she'd viewed him the first time through the crystal. The little Pseudodragon, Xavier, hissed again at the sudden mood change and batted at Greylen's ear, evidently telling him something, as he seemed to relax a little, the deadly feeling dissipating.

"Forgive me. I've worked with and been mislead a few times by a pretty woman, who also was a dragon and reacted badly. Xavier assures me you are nothing like Arcana and I need to cut you a little slack." Greylen looked a little embarrassed as he reached back and rubbed Xavier's head again in thanks. "So please, continue. Why were you looking for me?"

Silvain was relieved, the froze at the name Greylen so casually tossed out. Arcana... , "Wait, you don't mean Arcanabethabelidiumzaxifcontanitlar, the red, do you?" she inquired with a nonchalance she didn't feel, her gut tightening further as she pronounced the full name of the dragon who had slain her parents so many years ago.

It was Greylen's turn to be surprised, "Why, yes, I do believe that was her full name. She was so powerful, she didn't care who knew it and so arrogant, she WANTED everyone to know it." he chuckled, then seeing Silvin's face, leaned over and took her hand. "I'm sorry, I've upset you." he started. Silvain snatched her hand back, her breathing coming a little ragged as she glared at Greylen.

"How dare you. How DARE YOU!" she almost screamed at him, her control almost lost as she began transforming back into her true form. Greylen spat out an oath and with it a spell and suddenly all three of them were somewhere outdoors, the half-completed shell of a castle and tower complex in the distance. Silvain completed her transformation and roared with anger, taking a deep breath to freeze this impudent human where he stood.

But Greylen was faster. Suddenly her breath weapon fizzled out, just as she let it go, stunning her. In her minds eye, she could see Greylen casting again, and lunged at him. She only clipped his shoulder glancingly, however, and then she was moving slower. Greylen moved away from her and she tried to take off, to better crush and pin him, but she found she couldn't take off. In fact, she was having a hard time moving at all and it kept getting worse.

Silvain reached for and got clouds from the sky and mist from the ground that suddenly surrounded them, cutting off all vision, but a gust of wind came and blew it all away. She started a spell for a lightning bold, the movements clumsy now, and as she finished, she saw Greylen's hands moving in almost mirror to hers and the spell fizzled out, countered.

"Damn you to the hells." she whispered as her body became too heavy to move at all and could only watch as Greylen walked over to her inert form and with a flourish, created a chair out of the stump next to where she lay.

"Finished, young lady?" Greylen asked, a look of concern in his eyes that baffled her. Why didn't he finish it? Xavier smile wolfishly at her, "Don't worry, Silvain, Greylen would never hurt a good dragon. Especially a woman. But he had to contain you, since I couldn't get through your rage to talk. If you are ready to talk, he will release the earthbind on you."

Silvain nodded with resignation, her rage drained away and her logical mind back in control, and thought back, "I'm in control again. Please remove the bonds." Suddenly she was free to move again. She ruffled her wings and looked at Greylen only a few feet away, but restrained herself.

"It seems I touched a nerve with Arcana's name. But let me assure you, I do NOT work with Arcana anymore, nor do I plan too ever again. In fact, I plan to end that woman's life the moment I can find the shifty lizard's hideout." Greylen barred his teeth in a very unpleasant smile, still keeping eye contact with Silvain. Suddenly it all clicked for her.

"Your research on how to kill dragons. It was to kill Arcana?" she blurted out incredulously. Both of Greylen's eyebrows went up, but he nodded, and so did Xavier, who also hissed angrily.

"Yes, Arcana has lived too long for a being so evil. My friends and I are bending all of our efforts into finding her to rectify that situation." Greylen shrugged with a small smile, though his eyes had that deadly look in them again. This time, the shiver was anticipation. Greylen nodded to Silvain. "So what is your story with Arcana, Silvain? "

Silvain opened her mouth to answer, then the air suddenly cracked and the high council of metallic dragons were all hovering above them both, anger unmistakable in their bearing as they all prepared to attack Greylen.

"Wait!" Silvain roared as Greylen's chair was suddenly enveloped in a prismatic sphere. The shifting lights distracted them all for a split second. Just enough time for Silvain to launch herself between Greylen and the Ancient, powerful, dragons. "Wait, elders, please!" she again roared and the Ancient dragons paused once more.

"Silvain, move. We saw you being attacked and overwhelmed by this man. I vowed to you what would happen if this occured." it was her uncle in his full might as the silver representative to the council. Silvain didn't budge.

"Please uncle, it was a misunderstanding and worse, MY misunderstanding. I attack HIM." she ducked her head in shame, as she bared herself to the scrutiny of the events by the elders. When they were done, there was a collective sigh among the elders and with a nod, all but the gold elder and her uncle teleported away. The prismatic sphere disappeared as well, a chuckling Greylen looking at Silvain as she landed next to him again.

"Well now, that was certainly a close one. I don't think even I could have survived all of them at the same time." he shrugged with a smile. Greylen stood and bowed to the two immense dragons remaining, "Greylen the wizard, at your service, Elders." he intoned politely.

The Gold Elder looked at Talagular and then nodded, "Falsuliam and Talagular at yours, sir Greylen." he intoned back. "You must forgive our impetuous arrival. From the Scrying, we thought you were hurting our young agent over there."

Greylen did not look surprised and looked at the two dragons intently, "I see, so you are the ones who have been scrying me and when you couldn't figure out what I was doing, you send a pretty face to get it from me?" he spoke casually, but a hint of anger was in his eyes as he regarded the Elders towering above them.

Falsuliam nodded his head and sighed, "Yes, and you have our deepest apologies, but you must be aware that the power you have researched and developed could easily be turned against US, if in the wrong hands." he also spoke casually, but his look was anything but casual. "We saw how easily you defeated our young one. How can we allow this magic to continue? If our evil brothers knew you had this magic, you'd be under constant attack from them."

Greylen nodded, conceding a point to the Elder. "It IS dangerous, which is why I am building this place. It will not only be my home, research library and laboratory, it also will protect and if necessary destroy the secrets I have uncovered. I don't intend to give them up to anyone. But I WILL continue to develop them to rid the multiverse of a deadly plague. Arcanabethabelidiumzaxifcontanitlar, the red. She cannot be allowed to exist. My friends and I almost killed her once, but she's like a troll and keeps coming back."

Talagular gasped. "That was you?" he started in awe. "We had heard just rumors about a band of adventurers who had destroyed her mountain fastness. That infernal mountain that made it impossible for us to find her and stop her predatory actions across many worlds." Both Falsuliam and Silvain both looked at Greylen with awe as well.

"It's no rumor." Greylen chuckled as he sat back down. "If you will transform, I'm sure I can whip us up a meal while I tell you what happened to Arcana and her Mountain." he gestured and three more chairs and a small table emerged from the ground. At a nod from Falsuliam, Talangular and Silvain and he transformed into their human forms, the two men appearing graybearded, and sat down. A few moments more and servants from the nearby castle appeared bringing food and wine to laden the table.

"Please eat and I will quench your curiosity" Greylen smiled, indicating the food and pouring cups of wine for them himself. The nodded and began to eat.

Greylen sat back down and after a sip of wine sighed, "It was a hard fought campaign to even get to the mountain. I had four companions, a Rogue, a Palidin, a Ranger and a Dwarf. You'll forgive me if I keep their identities a secret. But suffice to say, we finally managed to track where the mountain would appear next and arrived there just in time to get in." he chuckled and showed his left palm, the anvil etched there shimmered slightly. "When I say it was hard fought, I mean it was only through the intervention of Moridin that I survived that early fight. I owe him much and honor him as one of my gods." Greylen smiled, putting his hand back down.

Greylen Continued, "Once in the mountain, it was constant battle with the kobold army, as well as her other minions. We even managed to save a human female sorceress, named Arcana... or so we thought at the time." he rub the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I'm ashamed to say she fooled us completely until she betrayed us and almost wiped us out. But with a little luck, we managed to survive and we even managed to destroy the device that powered the mountain. However, doing this caused a catastrophic explosion that would have left much of Faerun in ruin. Luckily the Gods were kind and diverted the energy into a temporal time rift that threw her and us into the past." Greylen lifted up his other palm, the five stars of Mystra glowing silver bright. "Mystra saved us again, though she demanded a price and took the ability for me to shapechange ever again." he shrugged philosophically. "It was a small price to save the world."

"Where did you end up?" inquired Silvain, so completely immersed in the story she had stopped eating.

"Well, interesting enough, in the middle of an army of evil creatures, mostly orcs and the like, just outside of what was becoming the new city of peace, Myth Drannor." Greylen grinned at the look on their faces, but Falsuliam and Talagular both shrugged, Falsuliam sighing sadly, "We tried to warn the elves and help where we could, but the army put together there, was greater than any of us had foreseen. We could not stop it." Greylen nodded.

"Do not blame yourselves or be too sad. The vision they had was a noble one. One that my friends and I got caught up in. In fact, we helped defend Myth Drannor until the end, and I actually helped create it's Mythal as one of the few elf friends allowed to learn elven High Magic." Greylen smiled a bit sadly, showing his Gold Ring of the Windsong Tower, but triumpant as well. "Myth Drannor will be rebuilt. I promise you." he paused, taking another sip of wine and a small bite of the roast.

Greylen raised his glass, "To Myth Drannor and all who died to build a better world." he drank and then continued, "Of course there are more than just my own story there, but they are not mine to tell. But at the end, we were again hurled into rift that brought us back to our own time, where we'd learned Arcana was working with a lich to subvert the Myth Drannor Mythal, in the ruins of that once fair city. We traveled to the Mythal room and there, our final battle began. In the end, it took my breaking my Staff of the Magi to defeat her, but we also were blown into another dimension and fear she was as well, though broken and we'd hoped dead. Alas, it seems we failed again in our task and must again prepare for battle. THAT is what I am doing with my knowledge of how to defeat dragons." Greylen finished with a sigh.

Talagular passed in his bite of food, "So what do you mean you failed? Has she appeared again?" Greylen shook his head, "We don't know, but there are indications that she is still alive, but where we don't know. My friends and I have as our highest priority finding Arcana. But it is slow work." he sighed once more, a rueful smile on his lips as he takes another drink.

"So if I might ask a question, Silvain, why DID you go beserk on me after mentioning Arcana's name?" Greylen asked turning to the sliver haired woman. Silvain's face turned hard.

"She killed my parents. And all my clutch mates. I only survived because I was out exploring when she attacked." unshed tears shown in her eyes as she blinked rapidly.

To be continued...
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Greylen » Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Silvain Quicksilver's story...(Continued)

Greylen waited while Silvain fought for, then won control of her tears. She continued on dispassionately.

"When I was very young, I used to love exploring the caves around my families lair. My clutchmates and I explored for hours, playing hide and seek, and other games. I was the best at Hiding and could stay so still, no one would find me. One night, I slipped out of my bed and slowly made my way to the entrance, trying to fool my parents. When I heard a noise, I froze against the wall thinking I'd woken them up. But it wasn't my parents." Silvian clenched her jaw as she continued, "It was the biggest dragon I'd ever seen entering the room. As silent and noiselessly as a ghost, it floated past me. I realized later it was the sound of a teleportation entry that had alerted me. But that didn't help my parents or my clutchmates. Her first fiery blast obliterated my clutchmates and wounded my parents terribly. My parents fought valiantly, but it was no use, somehow Arcana had bypassed their wards and alarms and it was no use. And all I could do was watch in terror."

Talagular leaned over and put an arm around Silvain as she finished. "My father called out her full name, but Arcana just laughed. And when it was all done, she picked up their spellbooks, a few choice magic items and then disappeared from the room. I was still frozen in terror when my uncle made it there. My father had used a sending to give him their murders name, but it was over too fast for him to do much more than rescue me." her lips quirked bitterly, "I thought I was in control of my anger, but when you said Arcana's name, it just all flooded back to me and I snapped. Please forgive me." She turned pleading eyes on Greylen, who was still just listening with a somber expression on his face.

"Please, Silvain, there is nothing to forgive." Greylen waved off Silvain's apology as he sat forward with an angry expression now on his face. "It's just one more reason I have to make sure Arcana is disposed of once and for all." He sighed and with a thoughtful expression replacing the anger, leaned back again. "I understand your anger and rage. But perhaps I have a solution that would solve all three of our problems." Silvain gave him a surprised look, as did the two elders.

"The first problem is the Dragon community trusting me, without interfering with my work by constant scrying. Believe me when I say I'm on my last nerve with that." He smiled wryly to the two elders, who shrugged with a chuckle. "The second problem is my finding Arcana. I might need some help with that." then he smiled at Silvain, "The third is your revenge. I believe you should be directly involved in her demise, wouldn't you agree?" Silvain nodded with a grim smile, eyes cold.

Greylen raised his hands expansively, "So, Silvain, how would you like to be my apprentice. You will learn the dragon magic I have uncovered and improved AND be able to keep an eye on me for these two. Plus I get extremely competent help, with vast resources at her disposal, in my search for Arcana." He grinned at the three. "What do you say? I think it's simply brilliant, if I do say so."

Shock turned to speculation on the faces of Talagular and Falsuliam, while shock remain mostly on Silvain's face. Falsuliam turned to Talagular. "What do you think, old friend. You have had the most contact and experience with humans, not to mention a zone of truth active. Would you trust this man with your Niece?" Grelyen grimmiced slightly at the news the ancient silver was the 'uncle' in Silvain's story. Talagular nodded thoughtfully, "His story rings true and his power is evident. I do believe he can do what he says about Arcana. If she wishes it, I will give my blessing to her staying, for now." He looked over at still perplexed Silvain questioningly.

Silvain looked from the two Elders to Greylen and her eyes narrowed, "If I agree, there will be some conditions." she finally stated, a small flush on her cheeks. Greylen raised an eyebrow, "Conditions? I suppose there probably should be." he nodded with a smile. "Tell me what are these conditions."

Silvain glanced at the Elders and then took a deep breath, "First, my help is not free. You will pay me 100 gold a week in wages. As well, you will donate a magic item once a month." she saw the Elders surprise out of the corner of her eye, but she continued quickly, "As well, any Dragon I ask for information will require a donation of a magic item or extra gold as well. I will not be a beggar asking for help from my friends and family." she said with as much dignity as she could.

Greylen seemed a little surprised at first, but as she finished, he was already nodding. "I see what you are saying and agree. Except you will get 100 gold a DAY, not a week. Only fair for the quality of help I will be receiving." Silvain allowed herself a relieved smile and looked at the Elders, especially her uncle, "Any objections, Elders?" She asked politely.

Both Elders hid smiles as they nodded their acceptance. "Done and Done." intoned Falsuliam. Talagular smiled proudly at his niece, "You've grown into a fine woman, Silvain." he whispered to her as he stood to hug her goodbye.

Falsuliam turned to Greylen once more as he and Talagular moved away and resumed their true forms. "We will be watching occasionally, still, Archmage Greylen. Do not disappoint us." and with a toothy grin, he and Talagular launched themselves into the air and disappeared.

Greylen let out an explosive sigh of relief. "Despite all my dealings with your kind, Silvain, the big ones still unsettle even me." he laughed giving her arm a squeeze. Silvain smiled with a chuckle, allowing the contact, but her look letting him know he shouldn't get used to it. "You would have to be stronger than most to not be unsettled by those two." she agreed.

Greylen laughed again and removing his hand, gestured for her to follow the trail to the half built castle. "Then this way, my lady. Let me show you your new home."

Silvain half-inclined her head, then with a satisfied smile, moved with Greylen down the trail, the castle growing larger by the minute. She felt a tingle as powerful magics were released around her, and realized that Greylen had setup some shielding spells without, at least her, being aware of them.

Moving down the trail, she regarded Greylen in a new light and began to be hopeful that her revenge for her family might finally be possible.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

EPIC Stories...

Postby Greylen » Fri May 16, 2014 11:40 am

Guys, I created this link to move over at least my own stories. As I looked at it again today, I think it's better, so we don't pollute the necessary information with the flights of fancy, kinda cool to read info... :D

Enjoy!
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Return to General Information