Lone Survivor

Like a book? Want to recommend it? Hate a book? Want to warn others? This is the place.

Moderator: Greylen

Lone Survivor

Postby Boric Glanduum » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:13 pm

OK.
New recommendation: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team Ten

I checked this out from the library and read this on Monday and I can only now begin to talk about the book. It's taken me nearly 48 hours to be able to grab hold of my emotions. This was a fantastic read...the "F" word is liberally sprinkled through the book, as you would imagine from a military perspective. It may take me a while to re-read it, but I'm definitely picking up a copy for my own personal library.

Talk about inspirational. Talk about emotional. Wow. Everyone I've heard that has read this book has wept while reading it.

Here's the synopsis from Amazon:
Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July, 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to have a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His teammates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.

A born and raised Texan, Marcus Luttrell takes us from the rigors of SEAL training, where he and his fellow SEALs discovered what it took to join the most elite of the American special forces, to a fight in the desolate hills of Afghanistan for which they never could have been prepared. His account of his squadmates' heroism and mutual support renders an experience for which two of his squadmates were posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for combat heroism that is both heartrending and life-affirming. In this rich chronicle of courage and sacrifice, honor and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers a powerful narrative of modern war.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby TheDM » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Coincidentally, a co-worker of mine just finished the book yesterday and we were discussing it. I read a few pages of it yesterday as well and was adding it to my list to read.

The co-worker said that he could hardly put it down and that some of it was so fantastic that he was having trouble believing it. We then had a discussion around how sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

As I don't believe in coincidence, I think I shall have to pick this up and give a read as soon as I can.

Thanks for sharing Jaren.
TheDM
Ranger

Postby Theylan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:29 am

Read it too, Totally Awesome
Theylan
Ranger

Return to Books Reviews