[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Campaign Journals 12-27-2008

Campaign Journals 12-27-2008

Ongoing campaign journals for our characters.

Campaign Journals 12-27-2008

Postby Greylen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Amber's Journal

My Wheloon travels: Day 1 - 4

I have decided to keep a record of my journeys, starting here with Wheloon, so I can make sure I don’t miss important details of this mission I have undertaken for Mystra. After all, a request from the High Priest is a request from Mystra herself, right? Ha ha, sometimes I crack myself up with the thoughts that I come up with on road between civilized outposts.

The journey to Wheloon was a pretty dreary and boring one, four days on the road and not one adventure. So when I finally sighted the walls of Wheloon at the end of that fourth day, I found myself kicking my horse to go a little faster to get there before the setting sun. Maybe there would be more excitement in town.

When I got there, the guards only asked a few questions me as I rode through the gate. They were Purple Dragons, the militia of Comyr, and were stifling yawns as they efficiently waved me through. I hoped their boredom was of the guard on station and not what awaited me in this fair sized city.

Some inquiries later, I found myself at the Wyvern Watch Inn. A very nice establishment, compared to many of the other places I’ve found myself. Getting settled in, I started making a few inquiries of the Inn keeper and some of the watch who had stopped by, for Tunaster Dranik. The inn keeper thinks he knows someone who might be able to help, so I left a few gold pieces with him. We’ll see what he comes up with.

I really need some sleep. We’ll see what happens tomorrow. It will be nice to sleep in a bed again.

Day 5:

Well the Inn Keeper came through. Seems his boss, Elian, has already talked to Tunaster and knows where to find him. There seems to be something odd happening around here, I don’t know any details, but Elian seems to have already been investigating the new temple of Mystra for his own reasons. He setup a meeting with Tunaster, however, and I was able to get some first-hand knowledge, though it didn’t help too much, as all he had was a gut instinct that he was in danger. Some instinct. But I suppose it got ME here to investigate, so I can’t knock it too much.

Elian seems to be putting a group together of interested parties to investigate this further. Seems a pair of Dwarves have arrived looking for a kinsman that disappeared into the temple as well. They are an odd pair, one wearing monk robes and the other full plate armor. They are definitely an odd couple. Their names are Thain and Hu.

Then there is the Gnome, Dalvar. Ignoring all the puns I could use at this point, he certainly does seem to be a credit to his mischievous race. His streak of larceny runs wide and I get the feeling that some sort of ‘agreement’ has been reached between Elian and him. However, he does honor the Lady of Mysteries with his use of arcane power. I some ways he is more powerful than I, but I feel his devotion to be one of lip service only.

There may be another joining us, but he is evidently on assignment, so may not catch up with us for a couple of days.

This seems to be a good and diverse group. Each has their private reasons for being here, some have even shared that mission with me, but we all have a common thread… what is going on at the Temple?

Day 6:

The local Duke here seems to be turning a blind eye to all the rumors, due to the revenue the Temple generates, but the leader of the garrison is very worried and through Elian has contracted us to go and investigate the temple. This is good news. I thought I would have to investigate despite the local government, not with their tacit blessing.

We spent most of the day ironing out details and getting equipped. They have a few very nice shops in town. I must admit to a predilection to buying things, especially things of power… I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame, though with less dire consequences.

The trip up to the temple was uneventful. We decided to go in separate groups, so we would not be connected with each other. Dalvar seems to have a knack for the theatre and decided to be a poor, blind beggar being carried by Thain. It was quite funny to see.

Hu and I stayed together, him pretending to be my man-servant. This worked well and our entry into the outer foyer of the Temple was uneventful. We talked with the attendant there, one Sham Thar, who tried to convience us to join in a three day ritual called the ‘Trust of Mystra’. I may still be young, but as a full cleric in the ladies service, I can say that I have never heard of such a thing. So, desiring to gain more information I agreed, as long as Hu could accompany me. Which was agreed. We were told to return the next morning to begin.

Turning to an alter to pray and leave alms, I watch my other companions in their attempts to gain more information quietly. Elian decided the best way was to visit some of the rooms around us. I prayed quite fervently to Mystra that what happened wouldn’t… he was seen.

All of his efforts to redirect the priests questions were met with stubborn resistance and he was ordered to strip off his equipment and go ‘talk’ to Shan. Everyone else was ordered away. I knew that Elian’s chances of getting his stuff back was slim if left, so I quickly cast a small spell of charm to alter the guards disposition so we could gather his things. It worked, thank Mystra, and we moved to the edge of the forest to watch what might happen.

A guard was dispatched and followed by Hu. Who quickly returned trailed by four town guardsmen. This was a good sign that the temple was going to turn him over to proper authorities. However, Dalvar had his own plan and tried to sneak up to the wall of the outer court, where we assumed Elian was being held. A big mistake since he was seen almost immediately. Shaking my head, I stopped Hu from running to his aid, and calmly stepped out of the trees, casting a quick glamour that would cause the guards to be infinitely interested in anything I said. Then launching into a long dissertation on the mysteries of Mystra, I kept them riveted, until I the front gate reopened and the four guardsmen, leading Elian in their midst, started back down the road. I quickly wrapped up, blew them all a kiss for good measure, and stepped back into the trees. My spell faded with me.

Dalvar quickly rejoined us and we ran back to the guardhouse to see what could be done. Unfortunately, nothing could be done until the morning. We left for the inn to discuss our options. It was decided that Hu and I should keep our rendezvous with the clerics in the morning, while the rest pursued more lines of information outside.

Day 7:

Egad! I have never been so bored in my whole life… not once. This ‘ritual’ is mind-numbing… maybe that is the key. They bore to death all who enter with their endless and almost meaningless sermons.

In the morning, Hu and I presented ourselves at the temple to find out more about the inner-workings and what they were doing with this ritual I had never heard about. We were taken to a dormitory type of room and told to put on new robes, putting our own gear in footlockers a the foot of each cot.

I had luckily had foresight enough to keep my stuff with Thain before entering, except for my chain-mail. It was light and thin enough to be hidden under my clothes, so I quickly donned the new robe, with my mail still underneath.

Then these sermons started. Ah how I longed to listen to Brother Antaun back at the abbey. HE at least explained things in such a way to make it interesting and fascinating.

Only two more days of this, but I know not if I can handle it without throttling the idiot, Starweaver Fembress before the end.

Day 8:

Only one more day of this drudgery… of the three farmers that joined Hu and I, I can see that two are fed up with the nonsense as much as I am, though I keep my boredom to myself.

I feel that something is not right, though, and this ritual is but a shame for something more sinister. I much contemplate and discuss this quietly with Hu before going to bed.

Day 9:

What a day! I can only believe it is through the divine grace and favor of Mystra that I and my companion Hu are still alive.

The day started much like the other two. Lectures and sermons after more lectures and sermons. But finally Fembress stopped and demanded if we were still ready to begin the ritual. Having come this far, I wasn’t about to back out now, but the two wavering farmers decided they’d had enough. Don’t blame them at all.

Giving us a moment to prepare, Fembress disappeared back into the inner-sanctuary. Quickly, I cast the spells that Hu and I had discussed the previous night to bolster our wills and shield us from any dark magic they might attempt.

This turned out to be quite fortunate. As we were led back, Fembress started the ritual, pulling a jet black orb from under an alter. He said something about repeating “The Starinosisâ€
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Ghostwheel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Aramil's journey

My life has changed for the better. I can feel it this time...

After all the hard work I put in for The Hammer & Shield in Waterdeep, Dirk had sent me up to Wheloon as the head recoverer. I was very happy to accept his offer. After learning the tricks of the trade and the inside workings of the H&S, I was confidant I could serve the Rogue well at the new post.

After a few weeks in town I had the hang of the local enforcement(Purple Dragons) headed up by a noble young lad by the name of maxaminus Tholl and had met with most of the merchants. Spreading the word of the recovery business through my two 'recoverers' wasn't too hard and we began to get some small requests. We set up shop at the Wyvern Watch Inn and I had an office there. The barkeeps always had the best ears in town so I arranged some "business" with them and they had so far been fairly generous with the information about town. I appreciated this and took care of them since I was new to town and needed all the connections I could get if I was to succeed. One of my recoverers was a magic user named Dalvar. He has been good with identifying the recovered items.

Lord Sarp Redbeard ran this town with a somewhat limp wrist. A thorn I could see in the side of Max, I could tell it crimped his style a bit and Max secretly wished for more stringent control. Just a hunch, since Max always backed up the Lord in public.

The new Temple was that of Mystra on the outside, but something never seemed right about it. I had ventured near the grounds, but never went inside them as my curiosity might prove trouble. Except for the business the Temple gave the H&S, we didn't get much from these religious types. Most times they keep to themselves which is fine with me.
When the reports began of townsfolk and travellers missing however, one of my first suspicions was the Temple. A supposed Mystra priest, Turnaster Danik, had stopped by my office a few days ago with some questions. Dalvar had also browsed inside the first of the Temple grounds and found nothing peculiar. Just a nice flowery garden with some nice, archers circling the top. I wasn't surprised that they didn't notice a Gnome checking out their garden. Probably thought he came with the Temple just for the garden! Well, I'll cut them some slack on the archers as they are new in town and might not trust the locals just yet.

When Amnic went missing, the PDs of course were brought in after several complaints. Max sent them off to investigate the suspicious magic at night, etc that one would expect from a Temple of magic. Of course nothing was found. I had my doubts and Dalvar's as well. When a couple of travellers came to town asking about their friends and I had seen them, it was time for some exploration. I received word that a PD would be assigned to help. Didn't need any further explanation there, Max wanted to know what I found. It's good to have the backing of the local authority when you go creeping into other people's business!

Another priest of Mystra by the name of Amber arrived in town. He had poked around at the Inn and when I got word, I met with him. His story rang true and I told him of the false priest I had met earlier. His reaction added that much more to my feeling that the Temple was not on the up and up. The two travelers searching for their friends were dwarfs, Thain and Hu. I thought about starting a bar joke with Hu, having all the regulars yell HU!! whenever he walked in, but thought better of it due to his monk robes. He might appreciate it, but I will get to know him better before letting that one loose. Thain was in full plate. Good, we would need a tough fighter.

We spent a day planning. The PD never arrived, but sent word that he was delayed and our investigation should continue without him. Deciding to get a better look at the garden and ask some questions, we separated into two groups after Amber went in so as to not draw too much attention. It looked pretty much like what Dalvar had told me. non-descript alters here and there and I caught glimpses of the two archers. They were circling in a standard pattern. good, that will give me the time I need to check behind the doors that were locked. The first one was open and I quickly slipped in unseen by all. A messy bedroll was here and a hallway went on further. No time to check it now. I timed my effort and again made it back into the courtyard without a problem. At the other end of the yard, I had to quickly pick the lock and slipped inside unseen. This was even more plain and was simply a staging room for the archers to use on their way to work. A staircase led up, other than that nothing. As I slipped out of the door to the courtyard, one of the archer saw me closing the door. Crap. Well, we'll see how this goes.

The guards were pretty rough. They seemed to be mad mostly that I was able to get inside without them seeing me first. I kept to my story and asked to see the Purple Dragons. The priest, Shan was to hear my "confession" it seemed. They wanted me to leave all my belongings in the courtyard. Eh, so be it. It would be interesting to see what they would do with tacit cooperation. My attempts to misdirect their questions seemed to help the situation as soon I found myself in shackles awaiting the PD's arrival. I waved at them and was lead back to the town station. I almost laughed out loud and gave away Amber's ruse. He had most of the guards in a daze listening to him ramble about Mystra. I like this mage. He's got some trickery in him. All in all a good experience, the PDs were gracious and I got a good night's sleep.

The next morning I presented my story to the magistrate and he let me off with a fine. No one from the Temple bothered to show up. They were content to let the PDs handle the issue. I had hoped my story would lead them to let the locals deal with it. I went back to my office and met with Thain and Dalvar. they told me that Amber and Hu had decided to keep their appointment with the Temple priest to go through some ritual and get a better inside look. The catch was it would take three days to complete. Well, that gave us some time to find out more in town. A messenger delivered a note to me and I recognized it as being from Max. he was a bit peeved about my getting caught. I sent a note back and let him know that we had another lead after a note was found asking to meet at the docks later that night.

The three of us made our way to the location early after lunch to see what was up. A very deserted part of the docks. After some exploration, we found what appeared to be a trap set up to capture whoever was on the walkway. I attempted to disarm it only to have it go off and destroy itself in the process. So much for the ambush. We hid and waited to see who would show after cleaning up the net below. No one showed. figures.
A new note arrived the next day pleading distraction. Well, we'll see.

Nothing much happened for the next couple days as we waited to either storm the Temple at the first sign of trouble. We were surprised to see Amber and Hu tie up to the docks in a flashy new boat. The boat captain was kind enough to pay them for the boat as well. Seems they have been successful. I listened to their story and we quickly informed Max about their findings. The PDs made short work of anyone left inside.

I will have to send this info to Dirk. Some decent work by my new friends! Hope they plan to stick around for some more.
Buckle up Bonehead. 'Cause you're goin' for a ride!
Ghostwheel

Return to Wheloon Adventure - Comapaign Journals