June game recap

Campaign Journals for the Characters. Hey, one can hope this gets used...

June game recap

Postby Theylan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 pm

I felt it a necessity now to scribble some notes regarding my adventures, ascertaining that it may provide some insight and experience by reflection. This is the first of my log. Our first two attempts to enter the cliff hold were met with utter failure. Although we were able to fight valiantly and cleverly at times we had not planned ahead thoroughly enough in this great chess match. We endeavored to take things a little more cautiously and to try again for a more stealthy approach to the top entrance. It worked nearly flawlessly until we got a little close. The terrain made it difficult to be completely stealthy and we were one hillside away when someone slipped and was spotted. This time however we were close enough to close the gap before the alarm was sounded. I sprinted up the hill and came to a stop just in front of the orcs. I waited for the first to attack so I could teleport behind him. This became rather fortuitous since the teleport put me between the orcs and the alarm bell. I held my ground striking a blow or two until help arrived. Once the dwarf and Solaster were able to close the end quickly came for the orcs and as the sneak attacks from the Rogue were too much for them to withstand.
We next dropped into the cavern and followed the dwarf who had some sense of which direction to go. With him in the lead we made progress quickly and found another group of orcs in a common room. We dove quickly using stealth and first attacks to bring them to their deaths. Next we came to a long corridor at the end of it was a lone orc. The dwarf tried to approach bluffing his way closer, but the orc became too suspicious. The rest of us were too far back to know what was going on completely and I grew impatient as Malgrim seemed thwarted in his attempts not to gain the guards trust. Finally the guard thrust open the door behind him and sounded the alarm. I raced down the corridor at full speed. As the room widened I noticed at the last second a chasm the split the room. I leapt flying past the orc who was still at the door and I landed several feet past him in the hall. He ran past me and I sliced him as he did. I smiled thinking I could easily catch this vermin and trusted that my companions would be close on my heels. The race was short indeed as I had to pull up as more orcs came down the hall with a pack of Hell Hounds. I braced myself for the first shot of fire which scorched me thoroughly. Magic missiles shot over my shoulder as the gnome fired into the mass. I felt the presence of Malgrim and Solaster, the three of us standing now with our heels on the edge of the chasm. I had been pushed back by the onslaught of orc and hounds. An orc fell stricken by the axe of the dwarf with him out of the way a sensed they might try and rush us over the chasm. I waited for the charge and then teleported beyond them as the first hound dove at me. Its howl went on for several seconds. “A bottomless pit” I thought. My heart leapt in fear and I pushed forward not wanting myself or my companions to meet that fate. They seemed to sense it also and we distanced ourselves from the chasm into the hall pushing hound and orc alike back. I teleported past the remaining orcs trusting my comrades to finish them off and I pushed into the room further down the hall. Entering that room I discovered the puny orc curled up in the corner bleeding his life out, and a rather imposing orc performing a ritual. I knew I had to stop that ritual. Ignoring the other orcs in the room I hurled a javelin at the shaman orc. To my surprise and good fortune the javelin changed into a bolt of lightning. Although it hit the shaman seemed to shrug off the damage. Ignoring again anything else I charged the shaman and sliced true with my court blade. Despite my best efforts he was able to finish the ritual and an overly large orc arose from the table and began to put on armor. Fear swelled up inside but I beat it down and attacked. The raised orc dismissed the damage with barely a flinch. I knew I was in trouble now and pushed hard against the Shaman and the empowered orc. At this point I was merely trying to buy time until my friends could arrive. The Shaman cast a spell and I felt my armor freezing I managed to keep it loose enough to move but could feel the intense cold. My friends were arriving and I felt the battle swinging although probably too late for me. I took a blow and went unconscious. When I finally awoke I noticed the gnome was in the same predicament I had just been in but was being encased in ice. Dismissing the brain fog with a shake I broke the gnome free of his armor and stopped the damage. It was at about that time that everything stopped and I got the odd sense that the gnome had saved my life, for which I was grateful. We searched about for clues and valuables of which we found some but no sign of the artifact. We must continue searching it would seem. We decided to clear things out and rest in order to continue the fight the next day.
Theylan
Ranger

Return to Campaign Journals - Dragon Coast Adventures