October 2013 Recap

Campaign Journals for the Characters. Hey, one can hope this gets used...

October 2013 Recap

Postby Just Rob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I thought that there would not be much that would surprise Tallinn, but she came to us with information that her friend up north was in great danger from an army that had besieged his town. And they were not just any old army, but humans with a vile and exceedingly barbarous behavior - they ate their victims. Tallinn said she could get us to the tunnels that were close to Forstar Nagar, but we would need to leave as soon as possible to get there and try to work our way through the besieging forces to make contact with her friend. She equipped us with potions of endure elements, cold weather clothing, snow shoes, and one magical item each that we could take from her collection. The gnome and I found two belts of magnificence that instantly brought our every ability up. The elf found a ring of wizardry that he felt would help him in the ways of magic. And the dwarf received a suggestion from the elf to try on a cloak that ended up being a cloak of the owl that gave him greater stealth and the ability to fly. With our new magical items to assist us, we felt ready to take on whatever adventures awaited us as Tallinn told us she would be watching for our return to the area that she was teleporting us to to bring us back once our mission was complete and we had acquired the arches we were being sent to obtain.

Arriving in the frozen north, we soon came upon a bridge of ice spanning the sea with two forces battling each other with siege weapons across great distances. We saw a ship approaching with soldiers, a spell caster and great ballistas on each end of the vessel with large numbers of barrels below the deck, piled from stem to stern, with the forces near the gate being unable to stop the ship from approaching their shoreline at the small port just outside their defenses. We immediately saw that we would need to do something to stop this ship from arriving near the gate or some great cataclysm would result from their arrival. I started to use the powers granted to me by Helm, casting pillars of fire down upon the ship and the soldiers upon it, lighting fuses on the barrels that seemed to suggest that they were explosives of some kind. The spell caster cast an acid storm upon us, hurting us and making the bridge we stood on slippery, but we all kept our footing and kept up the attack despite them hauling up buckets of water to keep dousing the fuses as fast as we could relight them. We eventually prevailed and the ship, arriving directly under the bridge beneath us, erupted in a massive explosion - killing the remaining adversaries still alive and bringing down the middle of the bridge, dropping me into the icy waters, threatening to drown me. If it were not for Eli bringing me out and the rest of the party crossing the span safely, surely at least I would have been lost if not others of our band. As we took out the ship, a loud acclaim rose from the defenders and we knew they appreciated our intervention in their welfare.

Traveling further within Forstar Nagar, the town guard who had not seen us fight for them stopped us and made us remove our weapons despite our explanation of why we had come and who we were there to see. Not knowing the password, they intended take us for enemies. Sending a messenger to bring someone who had seen what we had done on the ice bridge, it was sorted out that we were in fact there to help and they could allow us safely into their defenses. Taking our weapons back, we traveled on our way to the embassy where we were told it was likely that Tallinn's friend was.

Coming into a section of town with greenhouses, a woman ran out of a house pursued by a monstrous creature with many legs that was identified for us by Trident as a remoraz. The creature was a denizen of the cold reaches and was immune to fire and generated so much heat that it would melt weapons and armor, and it intended to bite and swallow each of us, which would result in our almost immediate deaths. There were two of them - when we took care of the first one, the second one came out to attack. We found the greatest effect for a spell was my casting of Sound Lance which caused sonic damage, allowing for crossbow bolts and magic missiles from the rest of the party to deal the finishing blows after Helm's granting of his influence through my being favored by him. The battles were great and we barely managed to escape with only some damage to the members of the party. The woman who had been chased out said they were used to heat the greenhouses and had been kept drugged, but with the attack by the army, they had not been kept drugged before awakening and escaping their captivity. She agreed in exchange for saving her life to point us to the embassy where Tallinn's friend was likely to be found after she took care of some things that she could now do after being saved from certain death from the creatures.
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Return to Campaign Journals - Dragon Coast Adventures