[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Return to Starmantle

Return to Starmantle

Any scenarios we want to run online to facilitate game-play for the next session. Very important if somethings there...
Forum rules
Remember that all topics and reply's in this section have to be IN CHARACTER. No exceptions. ;)

Return to Starmantle

Postby Greylen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 pm

The walk back through the Orc caverns was ominously quiet. The main sound was of Malgrim grunting with the slight strain at carrying the bulky capstone, despite it being only about a quarter of the weight it SHOULD have been for it's size and Solaster's not-so-subtle clanking around in his full plate armor. There wasn't even the suggestion of a whisper of sound from Eli and Trident, as they flitted like shadows ahead of the party, keeping watch for trouble. But the passageways were empty, like the tomb they'd become for the slaughtered Orcs and other creatures.

With the sure guidance of Malgrim, the party quickly found the route to the front gate, surprising and overwhelming the two remaining guards in a matter of seconds. Despite the overwhelming odds, the two guards fought viciously, making taking them captive impossible and they were killed instead. Eli and Trident quickly raised the crossbar and opened the main gates, while Malgrim looked at the stonework out of professional habit. Malgrim's eyes suddenly narrowed as he noticed a particularly clever, for Orcs, trap. Tracing the mechanism, he found it dropped a swinging wall across the front of the gate that would be impossible to avoid. Those hit by the wall would be plunged headfirst into the garbage hole next to the front gate. Suddenly Malgrim chuckled as he imagined the prime and proper Eli, the ELF, going down that slimy slope. His laughter cutoff, however, as he remembered how close they come to TRYING a frontal assault. He certainly had no desire to find out what was down there, besides the garbage.

"Let's go." Eli called already moving out the gate. "It's going to be a long trip back without our horses." Everyone groaned, none more so than the walking tin can Solaster, who already felt a bit roasted in his armor. He thanked Pelnor silently for the blessing of Mithril, however, as they moved out. It COULD be a lot worse.

The return trip was exhausting. It didn't help that they were already exhausted from two days of battle and frayed nerves. And even though Solaster has made sure they were all completely healed, it didn't erase the mind numbing realization of how close they'd all come to death in that final battle. Or the remembered feel of the mighty blows from the massive Hill Giant leader, Grax. Only the satisfaction of everyone having survived the action helped sooth the stress.

The most annoying part of the return trip was the villages. Villages that should have been worshiping them for getting rid of such a massive Orc base so close to their pathetic little homes. Well, that was how Trident felt at least. The others were less vocal and less presumptuous. But even they were disappointed in the suspicion and anger they were met with at each village wall, not granting them access for any reason. Even Solaster was about ready to knock heads when Starmantle came into sight as they crossed the last ridge before the gentle slope down to the city.

The four sighs of relief were probably the greatest any of the four had expressed in their lives... to that point.

Charles Suha was ecstatic to see the party, even brushing away the loss of his horses as trivial, in reaction to seeing the success of their mission riding on Malgrim's shoulder. Back at the mansion, he even went to far as to set them up in rooms at his own house, so they could relax, inviting them down to dinner later. As each party member bathed themselves in their private baths, almost large enough for Trident to swim laps in, they found outfits laid out for each of them, fitted and made of the finest materials to wear down to dinner.

The dinner was a fine affair. Roasted pig, large tubers of something or another, vegetables with delicate seasonings and enough ale, wine and other 'beverages' to feed an army... which Charles himself did quite justice too. The whole evening Charles laughed heartily at the story of their journey. Their abortive attempts at penetrating the lair caused him the most mirth and he listened with speculative attention as they described Grak and the oddly powerful Orcs they'd run up against. The only thing marring the evening was their tale of the goblins.

"A large belt buckle you say? Did it have a carving of a tree on it, by any chance?" asked Charles as they described the booty they'd take from the goblins. Solaster nodded and unbuckling the belt passed it over for better inspection. "The goblins thought the human they found dieing of some poison or another, might be a ranger." he stated, nodding to the belt buckle, "Some of the other things we found with it, correlated that story.".

Charles stared at the buckle a moment as his eyes misted and he finally nodded as he looked back up. "I was afraid of that. My good friend, Malcom, the leader of our ranger corps here has been missing for many weeks now. I feared something like this had happened." Charles smiled and handing the buckle back to Solaster he closed his hand around it, "You should keep it. I can't tell you how many times Malcom had been thought dead at one point or another, then showed up again in a week good as new. This Belt buckle was his 'lucky' piece he always said. I'm sure he'd want it put to good use." he drew a hand across his eyes, then motioned for them to continue with their tale.

When they were finished, with the meal as well as the story, Charles herded them all back into the study where they had first met him, but this time there were comfortable seats for all. Including a slim, pretty half-elf already seated and enjoying a sniffer of wine. A smile flashed across her face as she noticed the slight, but delighted, shock on Eli's and Trident's faces. "Welcome back, gentlemen. I hear you were successful in retrieving the stone." she gave Eli and Trident a slight wink in response to their happy grins.

Charles gave one of his trademark great booming laughs as he nodded to Tymora, as everyone took their seats. "Indeed they did, lass, and much more. If you'd come when I sent the first time, you'd have heard the whole story yerself." he snorted another laugh as his butler poured him a glass of NeverWinter wine. Ty laughed, "If your man had waited another 15 minuets, I WOULD have been here." she replied easily. "I did get here in enough time to hear at least the end parts of the story. Very disturbing, if your asking me." she frowned slightly as she looked at Charles, a bleak look in her eyes.

Charles nodded. "It is indeed. What was a hill giant, especially one of such intelligence, doing with all those orcs. And who the HELL was that he was talking too. We need more answers... " Charles paused as he glanced to the party. "And I might know where we can get some." he finally finished before taking a long pull of his drink.

Ty's eyes narrowed as she watched Charles, "Who might that be?"

Charles swirled his drink around nervously, before sighing and looking back up at Ty. "Tallinn. The Wizardess Tallinn Karr." he spoke firmly, though there was a nervous tick to his eye.

Ty's eyes widened slightly with surprise as she sat up, "Tallinn?! Isn't she the Illusionist who impersonated the good friend of Khelben Blackthorn for a day, just to prove she could without him knowing?" she demanded.

Charles shrugged with a small laugh, "One and the same. She's a haughty, or some might say mischievous, one to be sure. But she also has a passion for giant lore AND she also has a tower just east of here that she frequently visits. I've heard she is there now. I can't think of anyone closer that might be able to shed some light onto what a well organized group of Orcs, led by a Hill Giant, wanted with this lucky, but otherwise worthless hunk of rock. " He nodded in the direction of the keystone, now back in it's proper spot. "She is also very jealous of her privacy. So getting her attention long enough to ask for a favor may be... problematic."

Ty's eyes had an odd gleam to them as she settled back into her chair. "Well, Dettrick was hopping to have these two back before now." she indicated Eli and Trident, "But I'm sure I could convince him to wait awhile longer. And, do to the nature of the mission, with it's unanswered questions, I'd probably better go with them this time." she suddenly grinned widely, "Besides, I've wanted to meet Tallinn for a long time since she tweaked Khelben's nose. I think I'd find a kindred spirit in her." She gave a low throaty laugh. "That's if these four accept the mission I'm sure you're about to propose to them."

Charles just shook his head, "Quick as ever, Ty. And yes, I was about to offer these gentlemen another mission." His smile was a bit rueful as he looked at the four. "Not only can't I go myself, but we've had rumors about large bands of something destroying villages in the west. I've got to take what strength I can to find that cause. " He paused as he looked them all in the eye. "So what say you? Will you take the stone to Tallinn and see if she will consent to helping us?"

Ty pipped up, "And regardless if Tallinn sees you, you'll have ME along which is ALWAYS a party. I'm more fun than even Kreeg." her grin was infectious, as was the scratchy laugh from Charles.

Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Re: Return to Starmantle

Postby Just Rob » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Solaster shows a contemplative look as thoughts run behind his eyes, considering the mission. "It is not an easy task that you call upon us to embark on, especially so soon after we nearly met our doom from the previous one," he remarks, looking from face to face to see any inkling of what thoughts are coursing through the minds of his associates. "I for one would be willing to see this through a little farther and help heal the land of the evil that has been trying to overtake it. I know the dangers will be great, but we have demonstrated a great ability to use our talents and resources to overcome our adversaries and triumph where others would be destroyed. With the assistance of Tymora contributing to our endeavor, I feel Pelnor's blessing on our efforts to deny evil a foothold in this region and to retake what has been lost by the apathy of the people we have encountered in our return from the goblin stronghold and show them a better way. As long as my companions are willing to embark on another quest, I am willing to preserve the lives and fortunes of the party members in seeing it through."

Solaster is planning on buying Goggles of Night for 14,400 gp and hands 2,500 gp to Eli for use to buy a party Bag of Holding. This will leave him approx. 150 gp in his possession for further use and otherwise will be tapped out as far as treasure is concerned, but feels he is now satisfactorily equipped to accompany the party as far as they are willing to go.
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Re: Return to Starmantle

Postby Boric Glanduum » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Malgrim listens to Solaster with a thoughtful look. When the human finishes speaking, Malgrim clears his throat and says, "Not that I don't agree with all of Solaster's lofty ideals, because they ARE good things...." He looks around the group, as they're clearly anticipating a big "HOWEVER" coming.
"They're lofty ideals, and all good things, but that's not why I'm for seeing this out a bit longer. If there's a good chance for slitting a few more orcish throats, and a good chance for a few more coins in my pocket, then I say let's go on. Of course, I do have to do a bit of ... >ahem< 'shopping' first."

So saying, he counts out 2,500 gp from his purse, hands the coins to Eli, and then jogs out the front door calling, "I won't be long!"
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Return to Online Play - Dragon Coast Adventure