[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - July 2016

July 2016

Planning for our game days

Moderator: Greylen

July 2016

Postby Greylen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey guys, I won't be ready this week for anything, but if you call get me the information I posted and emailed, I can do Friday the 22nd or Friday the 29th.

Post up. :D
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Re: July 2016

Postby Just Rob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:09 pm

I can't do the 15th, but I can do the 22nd or the 29th. I'm going to post up my character information and send Lorin the DMGenie file for my character as soon as I can this week. Hopefully this will allow enough time for Lorin to get his prep work for the start of the adventure ready by then. Thanks for doing this, Lorin! :ymapplause:
"Dragon? Did someone say dragon?"
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Theylan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:39 pm

I thought I might add some helpful research to the discussion.

In light of our next campaign I’ve been doing some thinking and Class analysis. I’ve come up with a list and reference guide for classes and PRC’s that may be of interest with a brief description Pros/Cons, all of these classes have the Trap finding ability. This isn’t everything just the ones that I thought would be the most pertinent
Class
Rogue- PHB (the staple that started my career) Pros: Sneak attack, 8+ skill /level. evasion Cons: Sneak attack only works on the living
Beguiler- PHB2 (this is the one I’ll be taking) Full spellcasting from a limited list with all the skills of a rogue but none of the feats. Pros: Trap finding, rogue skill set, cast spells like a sorcerer, lots of spells on the list. Cons: spell list primarily comprised of the schools of divination, enchantment, illusion. Not much that can go boom here.
Ninja- Complete Adventurer (more combat oriented than a rogue) Pros: sudden attack- like sneak attack but when combined with Ki ability can be done when the character wants rather than when conditions are right, Poison use ability and Ki. Cons: 6+ skill/level, more combat means less skills. No armor AC improves with wis/dex and levels like a monk.
Scout- Complete Adventurer (the forest loving cross between a ranger and rogue, one of my faves) Pros: Skirmish ability improves AC and Damage, bonus feats similar to Rangers. 1d8 HP Cons: Slower damage improvement with skirmish compared to sneak attack. There isn’t much to dislike here.
Spell thief- Complete Adventurer (CA) (spell casting crossover of thief and mage) Pros: Can access/steal some high level spell abilities They can cast almost anything if they can steal it. Cons: slower sneak attack and 6+ skill/level progression.
Ranger Variant (trap finder)- PHB2 or Unearthed Arcana? Give up tracking and swift tracking to gain trap finding and disable device skill. Pros: full fighting ability of a ranger= Good BAB, and favored enemy. Cons: Can’t really think of many.
Rogue Variant (Combat Rogue) – Unearthed Arcana (give up sneak attack to gain bonus feat progression of a fighter) Pros: feats, feats and more feats you qualify for everything a fighter qualifies for, weapon focus you got it Weapon Specialization, no problem. Cons: BAB doesn’t match a fighter and you lose one of the most powerful damage dealing tools in the game sneak attack.
Divine Agent – Pathfinder (crossover of cleric and rogue) Pros: Spell progress like a cleric almost, channel positive energy. Cons: no sneak attack and lose one spell per level

PRC
Dungeon Delver – CA (you want to find traps and disarm them “no problem”) Pros: bonuses around traps. Cons: can’t start PRC until 7th level at best.
Daggerspell mage – CA (combines spell casting with some enhanced combat oriented feats) Pros: good spell progress 7 levels over 10 class levels, sneak attack progress. Cons: everything is centered around daggers so until you get into the power ban for this PRC 1d4 damage isn’t a lot. 7th level minimum to qualify.
Shadowbane Inquisitor – CA (this is the Paladin rogue combination, yes they have one) Pros: LG is a requirement but you get the best BAB in the game and you get to progress in smite and sneak attack. Qualify at 5th level. Cons: reduced progress in lay on hands/channel positive energy, must follow the code of the guild (not particularly hard)
Shadowbane Stalker – CA (Cleric/rogue combo) Pros: good cleric spell progress 7 over 10, Sacred defense and strike allow you to swap some spells for combat help, sneak attack progress, detect evil at will. Qualify at 5th. Cons: LG requirement. Channel energy/turn undead is reduced. Guild code
Nightsong Enforcer – CA (Monk/rogue combo) Pros: good BAB, Sneak attack. Teamwork ability improves everyone around them in certain skills. Cons 7th level to qualify, unarmed damage bonus increase is reduced
Nightsong Infiltrator – CA (rogue variation) Pros: teamwork ability enhancing trapfinding, if you come from a class with no trapfinding ability you gain it with this class. Cons: 7th level to qualify. Must have evasion feat. There are only a few ways to obtain that. Rogue, Ninja, Monk, Ranger etc.

Arcane Trickster - DMG (mage/rogue) Pros: impromptu sneak attack advance in spells every level, ranged legerdemain. Cons: poor BAB, poor HP. Always the 1st to die. JK. 8th level to obtain this PRC. I like this PRC.
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Boric Glanduum » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 pm

I can't do the 22nd; 29th is still "in limbo."

And I'll be going with a Cleric/Rogue mix: the Divine Agent...if I can get it coded into DMGenie.... :D

(And Jared: Divine Agent does have both sneak attack and channel energy, but they're reduced and alternate levels.)
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Theylan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 pm

I really have to do the 29th is that okay for everyone?
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:17 am

From the amount of background stories and characters I've received, (none :lol: ) I think the 29th is the only option at this point. It will give me a little more time to set things up the way I want them as well.

I'm playing with Maptools again and have forgotten a lot since the last time I used it. :oops:

So sound off everyone and let's see it we can do the 29th. But either way, I want your characters as soon as possible. \m/ :ympray:
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Just Rob » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:57 am

I can do the 29th. It will give me the time to get my character(s) done. I am coding the Shadowbane Inquisitor from Compleat Adventurer and hope to have my first character ready to export and send to you (Lorin) by Tuesday hopefully. Getting my primary character set up is taking the most time for me and since I have never coded a class into DM Genie before, I'm not sure I am doing it all right, so I'm taking time to see that I can do the best job I can with the time available. As for my secondary character, I'm not sure what that will be yet. I hope to not have to use it ( :ympray: ), but from the way Lorin is talking about this being a total deathtrap, I'll try to get something together asap. As for backstory, Lorin, I may need your help in pulling that aspect of my character together to fit in your world that we will be playing in. That's my update.

^:)^ I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:10 am

It seems you all are going to get a little more time to prepare for this dungeon. I just found out the opening night for my daughters play, 7 brides for 7 brothers, is opening on Friday and I'd promised her to go that night... I thought it was Thursday, but alas, it's Friday.

SO, how about the next week? August 5th?

Sorry about that, but with Kaitlynn getting her mission call any day, I can't disappoint her this time. :)
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Just Rob » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:26 pm

I can do Aug.5th
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Theylan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Can't do the 5th or 6th, the 12th is youth conference, 13th is a possibility perhaps. Maybe the 19th or 26th. the 19th looks the more likely right now.
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:43 pm

I am pretty sure I can do the 19th or 26th. It's getting close to school resuming, so the month is crazy as we try and fit all the things in before summers end. :lol:

Post up your dates guys. Even if their not taken, they will be by the end of next week... :-??
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Theylan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:50 pm

19th
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Just Rob » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Majority rules - providing the majority posts up sometime :-! If we can decide soon enough, I can do either the 19th or 26th, but I need to be able to get one of those dates fixed so I can get other family stuff planned for whichever date doesn't get the go-ahead. So, guys, check the calendar and voice your choice! \:D/
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Postby Boric Glanduum » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 am

Either the 19th or the 26th works for me.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Just Rob » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Scott? [-o<
Jason Ironheart
Just Rob
Ranger

Next

Return to Session Calendar Planning