[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - log 02/10

log 02/10

Character only applicatons accepted

log 02/10

Postby Theylan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:04 pm

Ramney put in a good word for me. So the party agreed to accept my assistance. After introductions we embarked on the next phase of our mission which was to head down river by boat to an abandoned town on the shores, whose name I can’t remember. The journey to the town was uneventful but the boats were too small for me to bring my horse so I left him back with Ramney. We pulled up to the dock and the dwarf and I exited the craft we saw a figure stand and look at us for a moment and then go into a building. Azaar and I were immediately cautious given the rundown and hair raising conditions of the city it seemed to just ooze with death and decay. I reached over and touched Azaar with a spell saying “you might need thisâ€
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Pilin Journal - 02/10/2007

The trip down the river was fairly uneventful. I enjoyed the ride, even though Aon griped the whole way, sitting in the middle of the boat. I think she was a little motion sick from the boats movement. It was hard to tell through all her thick fur, but the look of misery on her face was unmistakeable.

We shall have to find a different mode of transportation, Aon and I, when we return this way.

When we reached the small village, the docks and village were in the natural process of being reclaimed by the land. This gave me some pleasure to see. Vines, moss, small trees and all manner of other vegitation had already began tearing down many of the structures. However, the dark pall over the whole area was palpable and ruined the slight pleasure before I had much chance to enjoy it.

I didn't realize HOW bad the evil was until Aon refused to get off the boat on the dilapidated old walkway we docked at. Her refusal surprised me since she had been so miserable on the trip down. But since her reluctance stemmed from something on the half suken boat next to us, I was able to coax her off by leading her to the stern before having her jump to the dock.

I called to the captian of our boat to cast off and warned my companions of Aon's perception. At that moment, I also caught sight of a figure looking at us from the doorway of one of the larger intact structures. Looked to be an inn of some sort where "civilized" travelers can rest their soft, civilized bodies.

Give me a good moss bed and a clear stream to drink over anything civilization can offer any day.

Again I warned my companions and watched as they moved to the door where the figure had been. At the same time, I prepared one of my most powerful spells in case he should be hostile and also to assist Corwin who was now investigating the boat with Barr.

I also sent Aon with Azarr to warn me if anything should happen there. She relunctantly obeyed me, though I could feel her fear and irritation at leaving my side in this town of unnaturalness.

Seeing the state of the boat, I decided that my spell would be useful in this case. Casting it, I swirled the energy from my environment, aided by the already stormy sky and caused a bolt of lightning to blast open the roof of the cabin and damaging whatever was inside... I hoped.

As Corwin opened the door, two shadowy figures burst out and attacked him. I must admit his faith was strong, however, and these shadowy figures were forced to flee from the righteous might of his channeled power. Different from my own, raw power of nature, but effective non-the-less.

Things went wrong rather quickly after that, however, as an orange glob of something literally reached up and sucked Corwin down into the small amount of water in the cabin.

Not able to see anything, I again called upon nature, summoning to me a water elemental to see and attack what was in the water. He did and started beating on whatever it was. Barr also flailed away with his mace, trying to get at whatever it was holding our companion down.

Then it raised up, it's bloated, orangish filth towering above us, seeming to writh from within. Then I saw a glint of steel and realized that our companion was INSIDE the creature.

Quickly calling on Melikki again, I summoned another bolt of lightning from the sky, striking the creature full on.

It split in two! Instead of damaging the creature as I had intended, I actually aided it. Luckily, the split dimished the creature enough that it released Corwin, and with two quick spells from our newest companion the creature collapsed in on itself.

Corwin looked terrible, however, and took a moment to heal himself and catch his breath. I asked the elemental I had summoned to check for anything under the water while we waited and he quickly came up with a rusted chest.

With Azarr reminding us of the unknown figure in the building again, I left the chest in Barrs care and we ran up to the building, entering in a non-threathening way, as this man had a very dangerous feel to him. A feeling of threat one feels when being watched by a hungry carnevour in the wild.

He said his name was Vryxnr and as we talked Barr entered the room from the opposite door, looking around cautiously. Not cautious enough, but we all missed another shadowy shape, until it's etherial blade came out of Barrs' chest, dropping him dead instantly. I could see the life force ebb out of his body as he stumbled forward and dropped to the floor.

Seeing the foe clearly, I realized it was one that we may not be able to defeat in our present state and not wanting to lose any more companions, I calmly asked Vryxnr if we would make a bargin for information we could gather, for him to deal with this creature. He obviously had power since the wraith dared not touch him.

Thinking it over, he called over to the ghost to stop his attack. It was clearly pouting as it faded out. I was right. It was good we did not rashly attack this man.

Gathering our fallen and ourselves, we followed Vryxnr to another building where we learned much about the temple and a "Gate" within. As well, we found that for a certian ring that had been in the chest outside, and to show his good faith, he would raise our companion Barr back to life.

While death is a natural cycle of life, I have a feeling we will be in need of Barr's services before our journey is complete, so this is welcome news.

A hard fought day and it was only just beginning. Aon was still peaved at me as well, for leaving her with Azarr during a battle and we had used up much power already. Ah well, at least the forest before us looked more normal, beckoning for me to enter.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

2/10/07 session notes

Postby Boric Glanduum » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 pm

Tel, but I hate boats! Gives ya' too much time ta' think and not enough time for killing'. So, I spent the time thinkin'.

This new olv that's joined us--it's interestin'. Ramney spoke well of him, an' I think that's what sold him to the others. For me, ‘twas the respect he showed me. I get little enough from his kind; ‘course, most of his kind don't deserve much themselves. Points was different, and I still miss havin' his skills at me back. This one seems to have much the same spirit about him as Points did. There's somethin' about him that speaks of a hidden strength. An' the respect; already he seems to bear me as much respect as do me allies.

Me allies.... While they respect me axe and me strength, they don't give me much credit for anythin' else. I know that they have a certain image of me as nae more than an unlearned, stupid lout simply ‘cuz I don't come from a fancy dwar city and ‘cuz I don't have the skills with valuin' nurlin {gemwork} an' aelin {gold-work} that some dwar have. I see it in their eyes, too, when the Beast emerges: there's a bit o' fear, a bit o' respect, and a bit o' disdain. ‘How could anything so wild and crazed have summat ‘tween his ears?" they're thinkin'. It troubles me summat, it does--at times, that is.

See what happens when I have time to think? I start mopin' around and feelin' bad about meself. The end of our river journey came none to soon for me likin'. We finally found a dock where we could moor the boat and disembark. It appeared to be a moorage for a small village that was largely in ruins. The docks themselves were in bad shape, or so I gathered from the curses from me allies. In one slip lay a craft that was nearly completely submerged in the dark and filthy water. All manner of debris floated on or near the surface and the smell! The smell was unlike anything I'd ever smelt before. It was all at once oily and musty, greasy and moldy, with an underlying fecal fetidness. One of me allies muttered something about a "miasma" whatever that is. ‘Twasn't just the water, neither. The smell of thork {death, excrement, decay, carrion} was waftin' from the town, too.

Treebrother had a difficult time leading Aon from the boat. The frus especially wanted nothing to do with the sunken boat and wouldnae draw near to the wreckage, but merely sat on the dock and whimpered, hackles raised, staring at the ruined craft.

Perhaps ‘twas the smell or the corruption in the surroundings...but I didnae feel well. Me mind was all out of sorts an' filled with black thoughts. I couldnae seem to focus on what me allies were sayin' or doin'. Even now, lookin' back, I'm none too sure of what happened in that place. I vaguely remember seein' a figure on the shore, near a building. As the olv and I left the boat, this figure turned and entered the building. Amrus — that was the name of our new Olven companion — Amrus tapped my shoulder and said, "You may need this," then, beckoning, headed toward the building. I immediately felt better--physically, anyway. Me arms felt stronger; I began spinning me axehaft in me hands and followed the olv. Me mind and senses, though.... They were another story. As good as me body felt, me mind was still feelin' strange.

After that, as soon as I entered the village, I have nothin' but vague memories and images. A cry from Nyrvald, who had entered the sunken craft; the olv talkin' to the figure, then tellin' me to leave; me runnin' toward the wrecked boat and leapin' from the shore to the deck, screamin' a bloodthirsty oath, one that I'd never uttered or even heard before: "No weakness! The bear of the blood has brought your destruction!"

I remember despair--nothin' to take me anger out on. Then I remember followin' me allies back to the ruined inn. The hurm inside turned out to be the Vryxnr we'd been warned about. I couldnae focus on anythin' else they were sayin'. The confusion was gettin' worse.

I remember bein' summat scared, feelin' even more outta sorts, then Barr crumpled to the ground behind Vryxnr, dead.

Blackness.

Confusion.

Me hands, nerveless... me axe, fallin' to the ground.

A roarin' in me ears.

Nothing.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Ghostwheel » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:23 pm

We had returned to the village to recuperate. The black monolith was still pulsating below the old moathouse. It would have to wait. I was trying to come up with some way to destroy it, but the solution eluded me at every turn.

In the meantime, we had decided to pursue a trip downriver at Ramney's request. The boat ride was uneventful, but then I didn't venture near the railing. The encounter with the croc and the elevator has lead me to avoid edges when I can. I spent the trip well centered in the boat.

Just as we were gaining spirit at the end of the voyage, the last members of the party to depart the boat stalled as Aon wouldn't step paw next to the half sunken barge at the dock. I returned to the opening to investigate as others continued to the structure beyond the docks. The druid led Aon and had to almost carry her out of the boat. I began to sense the familiar presense again and despite the lack of backup, decided to investigate. After all, I was feeling the spirit of Tempus even greater than before, nothing undead could harm me.

I ventured onto the tilted deck and carfully explored. I cast a Santuary spell on myself thinking if anything would be able to attakc me, at least I would get some warning if their faith wasn't as strong as mine. Opening the door to the main cabin, I ventured inside and felt the presence of the foul creatures lurking in the dark. I called upon Tempus easily again and the ghouls fled in agony. Feeling very proud, I didn't see the jelly waiting in ambush for me in the river water. All I could do was hope my companions would come to my rescue. I had not the physical strength to break this creatures grasp.

As I began to pass out from the constriction, I felt heat surround my body and the ochre jelly's grasp release. The elf had come back from the structure just in time.

Still not aware of my surroundings fully, I followed the party to the structure and inside where a singl figure was sitting at the bar. Our bard had taken a differnt tactic and was scouting the outside of the structure. He emerged on the other side of the room and just as we saw a ghostly figure appear next to him, he dropped from the point of a thin blade thrust through his chest. I felt the power of Tempus, but it told me I was not strong enough to vanquish this foe. I charged along with the dwarf, but we stopped short as the figure at the bar warned us of the unseen ghost. He called off the ghost and was going to help us revive the bard. Something was not right. this Vrixner was not who he claimed to be and the evil aura was hidden just out of sight.

We should not trust this one...
Buckle up Bonehead. 'Cause you're goin' for a ride!
Ghostwheel

Return to Campaign Journals - Hap Village Campaign