[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - log 03/10/07

log 03/10/07

Character only applicatons accepted

log 03/10/07

Postby Theylan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 pm

We left Vryxnr with a revived bard and did not have to sign away our honor to get our friend back. This was a great relief to me as Vryxnr simply oozed with evil. We continued on into the forest and were caught unaware by a druid in an odd bear form who attacked azaar, and a Dire bear attacking the lycanthrope. Pillin quickly surmised that something was different about the situation and so he began to speak with the animals and discovered that the lycanthrope was not in its right mind and that the Dire bear was trying to protect her. That knowledge came a little too late for me as I had already been attacked by both creatures and feeling the wounds from their enormous strength. We shortly subdued the Lycanthrope and after a few minutes the bard and druid were able to help the druid change back to her normal form. We learned from her that there are goblin kin about and that we must be wary approaching dark watch (there’s a no brainer)

We parted ways and vigilantly went about our travels. After a few hours we took rest until morning. Resuming again in the morning we came to a ridge looking over a valley covered in a dark mist and in the not so far distance dark watch loomed. Its spires breaking through the smoke as the wind swept its thickness about. We rested for an hour or so, so our cleric could prepare for the journey. Entering into the mist visibility was a mess; breathing was even hard in the acrid air. We made it to the walls of dark watch without incident and using several forms of divination we discovered about four beings of evil on the other side of the briars. We put together a good plan, but as they say battle plans only last until the point of engagement and then it’s time to improvise.

The sound burst was a success and stunned a couple of hobgoblins, it seems one ran off and one was unaffected. The dwarf made it over the briar wall first and death began to rain a couple of hobgoblins fired arrows at our cleric but corwin was well protected. I jumped over next trying to overrun the one who just fired an arrow he stepped aside. Aon the wolf leapt on another and took him to the ground. Pillin had circled in from behind and cut off any further escape. Edyn in an attempt to conserve her spell power used her bow to good effect. We were in pretty good control until the graceful bard caught a toe in the briar and somersaulted through the air landing on Aon. Then the Worgs and riders arrived. They attacked with some debilitating success. I soon found my self on the ground and had noticed as I fell that Pillin shared the same fate as he had just been outflanked by the goblinkin. After the worgs arrived four of us were rolling about on the ground and two were still behind the briar wall, only the dwarf remained standing and effective. Edynn kept some goblinkin at bay with her bow, while Corwin pushed his way through the thorn wall. I summoned the arcane energy I needed and channeled it through my sword dropping a worg then got to my feet. Corwin came through and struck the other worg while Barr got to his feet. Azaar sliced through the creatures as if he were hewing melons in half. Pillin changed into bear form in order to get an advantage and get to his feet. In short order we had turned the tables back into our favor. And the last remaining goblin knew it. So he jumped atop the last Worg and sprinted back to safety. I raced after his general direction as I could not see him in the fog. He came into view just behind a wall of hobgoblins I pulled up short just out of reach of the defenders and let loose a bolt of fire and rock taking out the worg then gauging the approximate distance I had covered I yelled out to edynn my direction and distance. I stood there smiling at the Hobgoblins, they looked at each other quizzically and then understanding came into there charred eyes as a ball of fire exploded in the middle of them. I need to remember to add a few more feet to my estimation next time it was so close I could feel the heat singe my face. I made my way back to the group and now we make our next preparations.
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:53 pm

Pilin Journal - 3/10/2007

Ahhh, a feeling of peace enveloped me as I stepped into the embrace of the tall, moss-covered trees, overgrowing the path from the village. I never have a better feeling than when I am at home in the wilds again.

Somehow, though, there was something... wrong... with the forest here. I could not put my finger on it yet, but there was definately something putting the balance off kilter here.

Aon, still grumbling, kept running under my feet to trip me up, in a playful, revengeful kind of way. Laughing I just change to wolf form and did the same to her. This lightened her mood considerably and we continued down the path in companionable silence as only wolves can do.

I must have been very distracted somehow, as I walked right by a blind without seeing it. To my disgust, as Azarr walked by, a half-humanoid bear attacked him, sinking it's teeth deep into his shoulder.

Trouble usually comes in pairs, however, and this was no different as a large brown bear, of the dire variaty, also emerged. Attacking the FIRST bear, which I clearly could tell was cursed with the were taint. I called this out to my companions and cast a speak with animals cantrip to see why these creatures attacked without provocation.

I was too late to assess the situation as our new elf companion rushed to Azars' aid and was hit by no only the Were-bear, but the Dire bear as well.

I called out to the were-bear. "Brother bear, why do you attack us?". HER reply was just a bunch of ranting about dwarves in the forest. Turning to the dire bear I asked the same question. His reply made much clear. "They are attacking my mistress!". Continuing to talk to him, I asked why his mistress attacked us? "She has not been right for much time." was his reply. I quickly entreated my companions to not use deadly force, but to try and render her helpless.

Asking the dire bear to help as well, he finally took her down and sat on her. She was finally out. Growling at us all to back off, I could tell he was confused with his mistresses behavior.

Talking and soothing the dire bear was no small matter. One of natures most massive creatures, his strength and bulk are exilerating, as I had found when I had my mother amulet. But in time, the bear came to trust me and Barr and we gleaned that his mistress had been at the temple we were headed towards.

When his mistress came about, she was unaware that time had passed since the time she entered the temple. Obviously the effect of the curse she had been under.

When the she realized what had happened, she became very agitated and left quickly, promising to return. Definately an odd encounter on a list of odd encounters since this whole adventure began.

Camping for the night, we used a technique our new elf companion had taught us to rejuvinate ourselves in half the time it normally takes. The night passed in relative peacefullness.

The next day, as we continued, I found why the forest had seemed off at the edge. The forest before us was stunted and blasted, as if a great curse or battle had raged across it.

A mist became thicker and thicker as we approached the wall surrounding the massive structure in the distance. The gate, while ruined, was still protected by a short mass of thorns. Detecting magic, I could see that everything glowed, meaning they were most likely magical.

A good plan devised, I raced around to the side to attack from the rear. The plan went off perfectly with all the gate defenders dead or dieing within a few seconds of our assualt. The only casualty on our part being a heavy footed Barr tripping over the wall and falling directly on Aon, who I could tell was ready to rip out a throut... his or anyone elses for the affront.

Silently laughing, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and turned in time to have two large wargs flank me and use my own tripping tactic against me. I was flat on my back, four legs not withstanding.

The rest of the battle was unknown to me. Trying to get up, the warg again got a lucky trip in, sending me back down. Growling in frustration, I changed from Wolf to a Brown bear, the strongest creature I could.

Finally I was able to regain my feet, just as Azarr and Aon took out the wargs around me.

Looking round, I heard our elf companion call out a range to Eve, asking for a fireball. She quickly obliged and the screaming from the mist was quickly cut off.

Settling to my haunches, I licked my wounds, as Corwin walked to me, sending much needed healing through my cut form.

Looking at Aon, I shake my head at the sillyness of battle. Aon is still looking mad... more than I've seen her in awhile. I will have to talk to her, once I catch my breath and find out why.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Greylen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Aon's Journal - 3/10/2007

My master, man/elf who smells like green wood, generally is very smart and Very good to She who walks like wind. I must make him understand that I do not like when he leaves me in battle, when blood flows and the pack hunts.

This is an odd pack he runs with now. The short dwarf who smells of earth, steel and fire. The man whos voice sooths even my worst moods. Then man that sounds like the trees during a storm when he walks. The young elf who crackles like lightning and the latest elf who smells like sunshine on a afternoon glade.

They are all different and yet they hunt with a purpose that is worthy of a wolf pack. I do not understand the ways of men and why they must battle of pieces of ground, or kill without need for food. It is their way and I do not approve, but at least there are some who, like my master, oppose such waste.

It was good to play for a bit with my Master. He is often too serious. Plus I had to let him know my irritation with his actions. It was my shame I missed the scent of the bear creatures along the trail.

I enjoyed watching my master talk with and handle the bear creatures but must admit I was happy to be on our way.

Once we reached the valley of the smelly mist, it was hard to smell anything. But it was not hard to see that the place of the two pillers was occupied. My masters pack was ready and he explained my part. I was ready.

All seemed well. I jumped the thorn wall and hit the creature before me. His stench causing me to falter slightly. I felt some satisfaction as he fell. It was to my utter surprise when a body fell on top of me, smashing me into the creature I had just tripped.

From the smell it had to be he with the voice that sooths, but what was he doing on top of me. I threw him off and got back to my feet. Just in time to see my master being harried by two not-wolves. I rushed to his aid with he of the earth, steel and fire.

As he changed into a bear-creature, I knew he would be OK. I would communicate my anger at he with the voice that sooths later.

The mistress of the wood has entrusted my masters life to me and I will not fail.
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

03/10/07 -- Session notes

Postby Boric Glanduum » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:46 am

What I write here at first is information I was told by me allies. They told me ‘twas as if a cloud crossed the sun, watching the expression on Vryxnr's face as Treebrother declined the so-called "employment opportunity" that the der ollvir {evil spellcaster} offered us. The color leached from his face and anger flitted across his features, but only for a moment. Then he smiled and looked us all over once and said, "Well, at least let me raise your friend . . . out of the goodness of my heart." We were taken aback; we were far beneath him. He could surely have crushed us without significant effort--at least from what he had been told about his abilities. Our assistance could not have meant overmuch to him, but his pride was sure to be such that a rejection of "employment" would be a grave offense.

Amrus had sorted supplies from Barr's corpse into separate piles so that we could at least reap some use from the tragedy and we had carried the supplies and Barr's body to another building where Vryxnr kept his rooms. Amrus was shaking his head; he obviously felt that nothing was worth accepting the help of this evil man. Looking around, Treebrother was concerned as well, but seemed amenable to the offer. Nyrvald was also visibly concerned; his brow furrowed, his lips drawn tight, and his axe turning ‘round and ‘round in his palm. I apparently caught his eye and Treebrother's eye and nodded slightly. We were all very concerned about what Vryxnr would demand in payment and at what time he would collect on the debt, but the three of us had also grown too accustomed to the aid Barr so often brought to our efforts to leave him to rot near this der place. For all our jests and jibes, his songs had helped us in our dark hours--helped me, at least. When he sang, me blood ran hotter and faster and I dinnae seem to have a care in the world.

Vryxnr looked at us, an expectant gleam in his eyes; he was much too eager to please, especially after we had thrown an offer back into his prideful face. I am told that it was clear I almost called out to Treebrother not to say the words, but as I had the thought it was too late. Treebrother nodded at the ollvir and Vryxnr quickly showed us the door. "I will not work my spells in front of lesser beings. That is why I always work alone." Arrogant piece of molsargh {castoff filth}.

It did not take long, however, for Barr to walk through the building's doors. He moved to reclaim his equipment and we resumed our journey. I do remember heading back into the forest. That was when the Beast began to rise within me soul. Something felt wrong . . . no, something felt familiar: I felt like I was back home, surrounded by me people. Not dwar exactly, but any of me people from the village. The hair on me neck began to stand up, just like when one of me people would release themselves. The feeling got stronger as we walked; I could feel the Beast getting closer and stronger. It was this feelin' that was causin' me muddled head. Somethin' was wrong with me, but what?

Suddenly from me right side, from just behind me, a huge bear carrying a scimitar came crashing out of the brush and trees. It was obviously an ar frusvir {lycanthrope} by its smell and appearance--obvious to one of me background. I couldnae tell whether ‘twas ara {natural} or aramos {unnatural} however. ‘Twas a glorious specimen, one whose power and vigor would be a match to almost any one of me own dwarkar {clan}. Based on its size and appearance, I suspect that the lundfrus {base animal} is either hurm, olven, or some mix of the two. I could tell that whatever else it was, it was definitely a bela {female}.

More crashing in the brush pulled me attention away from the [i]ar frusvir for a moment; an enormous dire bear erupted from the trees and stood next to the ar frusvir, growling and snarling. It almost sounded as if the dire bear were trying to s;peak to the ar frusvir. I looked over me shoulder at Treebrother to get his help. As soon as me attention was divided, the ar frusvir seized the opportunity and sunk its teeth into me shoulder. Of course, it was me shoulder in theory; its mouth was so large that her canine teeth sunk in halfway down me back and halfway down me chest.

Almost immediately, the dire bear attacked the ar frusvir, and me allies moved in. I'm ashamed to say that I was so taken by surprise, what with the confusion and blackness in me skull, I could do little else by stand where I was and bleed onto the ground. Now, I'm not so lug {naive} as to believe no ar frusvir could mean me harm jus' because of me upbringing, but still, it was somethin' of a shock all the same. Through the haze of pain and shock, I was vaguely aware of Treebrother speakin' to the dire bear. Later, when he and Nyrvald were tendin' to me shoulder, Treebrother explained that the dire bear was protecting his mistress who, the bear said, was grenazandin {crazed}; he said that she had taken on her ar frus {were-form} and then began to rampage. Me allies and the dire bear were able to subdue the ar frus without causing her harm, and she soon resumed her humanoid form and departed, but not before Treebrother had extracted a promise--or a semblance of a promise--from her to follow us into the temple once she had completed her current task.

Oddly--maybe from the shock--me head was clearin'. ‘Twasn't perfect, and not yet normal, but gettin' better. As we rested for a time and then continued on, I felt even better. As we re-entered the forest, Nyrvald and I found ourselves at the rear of the party.

It was clear Nyrvald wished to speak in private; he walked a bit slower to increase the distance between us and the olvs. When he judged the space sufficient, he leaned over and whispered, "I do not believe that this being with us is our companion Barr. I suspect he may be Vryxnr himself, and our friend lies rotting behind us." I nodded. "He bears some watching, I agree. I'll keep me axe handy ‘til we can get him to sing. No hurm I ever heard could do justice to Tor Taerin Oli Thradukr Remarn {"The Soul-Bliss of Oli Blackwall"} like Barr does . . . did. Surely you heard him? It is a glorious song--the words that Oli Blackwall sang over the body of his true love." Just remembering it brought the song to me lips.

You are the true sapphire
that can heal and end all my sufferings.

There is no bitterness that your sweetness cannot sweeten
There is no joy or pleasure or any other good
that one can feel;
that is not to me, worthless,
save you, my eternal desire.

You are the ruby that brings rejoicing
The emerald that brightens and comforts my heart.

I could sooner dry the deep sea
and hold back its waves with my hands
than keep meself
from loving you.
Truly.

You, who I cannot even briefly forget,
who I could not leave,
who makes one flee and hate all vice
You are the gold I desire more than any reward.

I want to stay faithful, guard your honor,
Seek peace,
Serve and honor you,
Until I follow you in death,
Dear Lady.

I am wounded by love--sad, without joy or mirth
without you, my sweet companion,
To whom I have given my heart.

You are my sapphire, my ruby,
My emerald, my gold,
My desire,
My love.

I would have continued singing, even considering the odd look that Nyrvald was givin' me, but we came upon what we believe are the temple demesnes. We came over a small rise and found ourselves overlooking a valley. Details of the valley were shrouded in a dark mist; the smell of death and decay had returned. Treebrother paused long enough to cast several spells on me then plunged down the path; me legs felt longer and me hide tougher and for once I was able to keep pace with me allies.

The path ran through a gateway with a building some distance beyond, with a courtyard between. The gateway was blocked by a thick hedge; one of the statues flanking the path had crumbled into dust. Nyrvald was struck by a javelin; three eljuts {hobgoblin} appeared behind the hedge as a second javelin bounced off from Nyrvald's armor.

Aon leaped over the hedge, landing on top of one of the eljut; Barr attempted to follow, but caught his foot on the edge and cartwheeled--arms flailing--over the hedge. A loud bark suggested that the gundlin had landed directly on the durj {wolf}.

I ran after Barr, but at the eljut in the middle. I dove forward over the hedge, clearing the greenery without any trouble. I landed with me axe in hand and used me momentum to carry the blade through the closest eljut. I turned to slaughter the first eljut, only to find it under Aon...who was under Barr.

Treebrother circled the hedge behind me having changed into his durj form, only to be tripped up by a couple of durjunts {warg}, one of whom was being ridden by a elj {goblin}. He was bitten and speared and the blood and gore was everywhere. He wasnae goin' to last long. I moved up behind the elj, cutting him down with one swing o' me axe, then chop into the durjunt on the backstroke. Aon joins me and together we finish off the durjunt--the elj (or what's left of him) still strapped to the durjunt[i].

Treebrother turned from [i]durj
to garr {bear}; I circled around his prone form and found a durjunt worryin' at Treebrother's wounds. I swung me axe with all me strength and the durjunt exploded into a red mist from the force of the blow, and I fell to me knees. What was interestin' was that I never once felt the rise of the Beast through all this. In the past, I would have been nearly overwhelmed by the feelin's and driven to a rage, but not now.

As I picked meself up from the ground, there was a flash of light from behind me. Marnarn of some kind. I turned to look and Amrus trotted up, a grin on his face.
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Return to Campaign Journals - Hap Village Campaign