[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
D&D Discussions • View topic - Times... They be a changing....

Times... They be a changing....

Wise sage ABSOLUTE RULINGS from our loving DM

Moderator: Boric Glanduum

Times... They be a changing....

Postby TheDM » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:28 am

In the interest of increasing the speed at which the adventure proceeds (something everyone has complained to me about :roll: ) and to help facilitate greater player engagement in the story, in the campaign, in your characters, and with the overall goal of increasing the fun factorto the highest level, I am instituting some rather radical changes to how I am going to run the campaign, and in particular Game Session Ettiquette. Some of these changes, you will I expect, like.. others well... not so much at first glance. But I do believe that they will be found to enhance the experience of gameplay.

I am not going to implement all of them at once as we are all becoming old farts and thus change comes harder each year... (i.e. I am just now getting comfortable with the 3.5 ruleset) So here comes the first ones that will roll as of NOW.

1) the 10 second rule (It should really be the 6 second rule, but 10 works better for now)
The 10 Second Rule: When it is your turn in combat, you have ten seconds to declare your characters action(s) If you don't then you will automatically be considered 'Delayed' and the next in initiative order will go. (see PHB pg 160)

2) No arguing with the DM during Combat. Period. Take the ruling and move on, even If you think the DM was wrong on his call 100% or even by the rules he is. Make note of it, and bring it up after the session. The DM will look in to the complaint, get back to you with an answer and implement the correct ruling next time around. DMs aren't perfect but they are Omnipotent... :D

3) No more Wireless. The LAN is going to be turned off going forward. Too much distraction happening vs. potential benefits. If you want to send something to the DM. Paper works. If you want to look something up. The books will have to do.

4) more to come...
TheDM
Ranger

Postby Theylan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 am

I'm glad that rule #1 will apply to the DM as well. I'll keep track of your delays. :D Smiling but not kidding. Oh and I think the group will be willing to give you a few extra seconds. We'll decide together how much time the DM gets. Right guys and gal? I'll propose 18 sec. for the fist session of the additional rules for the DM then let's wittle that down to 12. :) :lol:
Theylan
Ranger

Postby Greylen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:35 pm

Troy, I agree with #1. If we're not ready, move on... It'll be hard at first, but it'll keep us on our toes. :)

But I think you should consider two things with #2 and #3.

Anyway, that's my 2 gp worth. (My advice being worth more than the usual charge of course... ;) )
Magic? Who needs Magic?
-Greylen Dragonslayer
Greylen
Site Admin

Postby Boric Glanduum » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:53 pm

For whatever it may be worth:

I agree wholeheartedly with #1: the only concern I want to voice is with monitoring an initiative chart. Poor Scotty could be going nuts trying to reorganize initiative on the chart the way it's presently constituted. I've been wracking my brain for a solution--the only thing I can think of is a magnetic board, with columns and rows, with moveable numbers (i.e., list the players in an initial initiative order, with the first column being numbered 1-X (initial initiative roll), second being names, third being PRESENT, CURRENT, or MODIFIED initiative (i.e., post-delay initiative). That would make it a little easier than wiping an writing.

As you've said in the past, however, it's your game and if you want to set down these rules, that's your decision. This is just my $.02
"Ah, the life of an adventuring cleric. I remember it well. A perpetual struggle to maintain the hit point totals of four or five nigh-suicidal tomb robbers determined to deplete them at all costs."
Boric Glanduum

Postby Zanther » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Last minute thoughts on this....As if anyone cares.

Rule change #1: sounds good lets try it. The people most affected will be the DM (ok it really wont) and the magic slingers ("should I cast this or that, how does that spell work...."etc) everyone else will be less problemed. I'm looking forward to a little less complexity of everyones actions. And maybe we can get more than two encounters in a 6 hrs evening. :banghead:

Rule change #2: This will be interesting. This will help people to learn the rules faster I think? No endlessly looking up obscure rules, spending a half hour only to find out you can't really do that. :argue:

Rule change #3: Taking away the players "crack". That's harsh. The agitation, shakes and all. Man you can't cut us off cold turkey [-o< . Maybe if you start by turning it off the last 20 minutes of the night, then next time the last 30 minutes.....and so on. Have a heart man.

And as a side note. I like the magnetic board idea. If I can find some time tomorrow I will have to go find one I like. If not I will just write it down as per normal.

That is all...for now :wav:
Zanther

Magnetic Board already in the works...

Postby TheDM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:48 pm

FYI everyone... the magnetic board is already in the works. We'll see what you think of it.... :D
TheDM
Ranger

Return to DM's RULE!