D&D Discussions Forum Index D&D Discussions
A little place to relax and discuss your alternate life...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D&D Minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Discussions Forum Index -> Maximum Miniature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boric Glanduum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: D&D Minis Reply with quote

Quote:
D&D Miniatures, after the next set, will no longer be sold in completely random boosters.

According to the release, there will be “D&D Heroes” sets that will be sold in packaging that makes all the figures visible, so you already know what you’re getting. Each one contains 2 Male and 1 Female models. Two worrisome pieces: one, getting only 3 figures for $11 (back when they started you could get a full booster for that much, darnkidsgetoffmylawn), and two, each one contains:

3 unique power cards featuring brand new class powers.

Yeah...that seems to fall into the criticism that it’s like Magic: The Gathering. I assume that these powers will show up in the D&DI Compendium, but it’s still a fairly dirty pull to have powers only available through these packs.

The other product announced is for just monsters. Each pack of the Monster Manual: Dangerous Delves contains:

5 minis: 1 visible figure, 1 rare figure, 1 uncommon figure and 2 common figures

for $15 (again, fewer minis than the current packs for the same price.) How the visible figure is determined, and what this means for Huge critters, is yet to be revealed.

h/t: critical hits.com

Since that was posted last week, WotC has confirmed that the "special powers/skills" will only be available on that figure's card, or online. Until they get around to compiling some/all into a published book. Like PHB3 (as PHB2 is already readying for public consumption and includes the barbarian and other information that should have been included in a PHB, but I digress).

They've also confirmed that, yes, for the third time, they've decided to cancel their miniatures game. Does three strikes mean they're out? There are also rumblings that Hasbro has WotC-division in their crosshairs, but those are just rumors for now.

See here for more.
Boric Glanduum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: WotC has the last of my money. Reply with quote

WotC has just received my last $.02. Actually, I haven't really purchased ANYTHING from WotC for a while--my minis come from a 3d party source for a much better price, on average, than WotC offered.
Here's the article. It really seems as though WotC is no longer interested in our generation.
Quote:
D&D RPG Product Release Updates
Despite the best laid plans, sometimes we make changes to the D&D product release schedule. Usually this happens well before we’ve communicated our plans, but sometimes we must make changes to schedules that have already been announced. That happens to be the case we have here.

We have made the decision to depart from prepainted plastic miniatures sets. Lords of Madness stands as the final release under that model. We will continue to release special collector’s sets (such as the Beholder Collector’s Set we released last fall), as well as make use of plastic figures in other product offerings. Check out the Wrath of Ashardalon board game next month for the latest example of this. Moving forward, we will continue to explore more options for players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop, including Monster Vault and other D&D products that feature monster and character tokens.

The Heroes of Shadow product, originally scheduled for March and presented in digest-sized, paperback format, is moving to April to accommodate a change to hardcover format. Additionally, three D&D RPG products have been removed from the 2011 release schedule—Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Emporium, and Hero Builder’s Handbook. While this means fewer books, we plan to deliver just as much great content for players this year through other formats, including board games, accessories, and digital offerings. I’ll keep you up-to-date on the latest releases each month as we go along.

Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation and putting the emphasis where the majority of you are using it. Corrections and updates to articles which used to appear only in the compilations will now be made to the individual articles a few weeks after the original posting.

Ah, well. All the more money for my Reaper figs. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Discussions Forum Index -> Maximum Miniature All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: